Good Writing Rules Search 9/18

I was looking on the New York Times and it was surprisingly  more difficult to find a story that followed good writing rules than I thought it would be. It is stated in our class textbook that that writers don’t have to worry about space as much they do in newspapers, so they can be a little more wordy. After some searching I finally found an article that I felt would display a few of the good writing rules.

The piece is over the attacks in Syria and the Russia presidents views on it. I found that the article exemplified the use of short paragraphs. All of the paragraphs were very short and to the point one of them being “President Vladimir Putin of Russia said in an Op-Ed article that we published last week that “there is every reason to believe” that the chemical weapons attack in Syria on Aug. 21 was carried out by the rebel forces in a crafty plan to provoke the United States into bombing Syria and unleashing all kinds of mayhem.”

Another rule that stood out in the article was the use of very short sentences and getting to the point. “It’s pretty amazing, by the way, that Kremlin propagandists use Twitter and cite YouTube videos.” This gets to the point of how the propagandist work with very few words telling how they come to idea quickly and sharply.

Even though their sentences may be quick and to the point some also vary like this one. “They’ve been putting out a wacky tale of a rebel mole who infiltrated the Republican Guard to fire off the weapons, and putting out tweets pointing to discredited YouTube videos that claim to show that the government did not launch the attack.” It is a little bit longer because it is a compound sentence, but it at the same time is very fluid so it doesn’t feel that long. The use of different types of sentences in this had very nice fluidity, so even though some were longer than others most felt the same length.

These are just some quick key writing rules that I found in the article that I found to be important to keeping me interested in the story.