The New York Times: Tuesday, September 3, 2013

As discussed earlier in my bog, I will be reviewing various forms of news and news outlets. This week I am writing on the September 3rd edition of the The New York Times. The New York Times is a very well-established outlet, and it is probably one of the most popular publications in the entire world. Their long history of well-written journalism has increased their prestige exponentially since its founding in 1851. Since its beginnings The Times has covered a wide array of topics including current events, economics, politics, weather, business, arts, and sports. Typically the paper would attract readers that would be interested in such topics. As far as demographics- I think that The New York Times’ topics attract a very wide array of readership, however, I think that their main readers tend to have a higher level of education and are 35-85 age bracket. I think it appeals to this section because the writing is a higher level of writing. It takes an up to date mind with a great knowledge of the world to understand a lot of the paper’s articles. As far as the age group goes, I do not think that most people under the age of 35 probably read the paper on a daily basis. I am not sure whether it is because they don’t care, or don’t have the time, or want to choose what new the read. However, it is clear that readership in young adult audiences has never been as high.

The first article that caught my attention on the first page is titled “U.S. FEELS CHILL IN ITS RELATIONS WITH RUSSIANS.” The article gives a very good overview of the United States involvement with Russia throughout the past few years. It heavily emphasizes President Obama’s pleasant relationship with former President Medvedev and more problematic relationship with current president, Valdimir Putin. Then after addressing the changes in the United States’ relationship with Russia, we are then reminded of the Russians’ involvement with the potential attack on Syria. Currently there is much strife between the two Russia and the United States. Syria is a great ally of the Russians. The Russians believe that military action should not be taken until it is approved by the United Nations.

I thought for the most part that the author did a good job of keeping the article bias free. There were, however,  times where I feel like some assumptions, not facts, were used. There were a couple of times that it was worded to sound as though Mr. Obama was only using President Medvedev as a pawn to accomplish a United States agenda. i.e “Mr. Obama resolved to what he could to build up Mr. Medvedev in hopes that he would eventually emerge as the real power.”

The next article I read was one of interest to me personally. It was also on the front page and is titled “CBS Returns, Triumphant, To Cable Box.” Since I worked this summer as an intern in the CBS News Press Office, I was affected first hand by the black out. Therefore, the issue is of high interest to me.

In the article, the details to the actual deal are not really discussed. However, this article does make it pretty clear that the CBS Corporation came out on top. In addition to the whole ordeal I did learn something new from this article. The article, towards the end, mentions that government agencies were planning on getting involved if the black out would have lasted much longer. I did not know that this was even really possible.

I think the article was very well written and does not show favoritism to either party. It does a good job of presenting the facts as they are and not embellishing them.

Lastly, I read “Ex-Nazi, 92, Goes on Trial In War Death.”  I really enjoyed reading this piece a lot. The article is about a former Nazi, Siert Bruins, who was convicted on the charges of killing a Dutch resistance fighter towards the end of WWII. In the article it says that in the last months of the was that Mr. Bruins and another German soldier took a dutch soldier to an abandoned factory and shot him to death. Mr. Bruins was found guilty.

I found this article to be very well written. I enjoyed reading it because I did not know that former Nazis could still be convicted for things that happened during WWII

I really enjoyed reading The New York Times. It appeals to me a lot because I like to know what is going on in the world. I will continue to read it for sure.