The New York Times: September 3, 2013

The New York Times is one of the most world-renowned news outlets today. It has continued to be a very popular publication throughout the years because of its array of topics. This well-established newspaper covers issues on current events around the world, political issues, business, sports, the arts, and various others.

Today, September 5, I evaluated one of the paper’s headlines, Sharks and Nature Cooperate For Solo Cuba-to-Florida Swim. Diana Nyad story interested me due to her never die attitude. In this article, Nyad, who is 64-years-old, overcame the 110-mile route from Havana, Cuba to Key West Florida. What is intriguing about this story is not only her age but also the fact that she has been failing at this swim for over 35 years. She said that every time she failed she was heartbroken and vowed it would be her last but those feelings never did stick around. After each failed attempt, she would evaluate herself and see how she can improve to make the swim more bearable. While swimming without the aid of a shark cage, Nyad had shark divers ahead of her to ward of predators with special zappers. Other obstacles she had to overcome were the extremely venomous box jellyfish and the unpredictable currents. But fortunately for her the currents moved her along swiftly, allowing Nyad to finish the swim in 53 hours. What many can learn from Nyad is to age is not a reason to give up on your goals and yourself.

http://cn.nytimes.com/sports/20130903/c03nyad/en-us/

As I was further, looking in the newspaper another article caught my eye titled One State Had a Plan And Saw It Through.This touches on the successes of Massachusetts’ educational system after implementing the Massachusetts Education Reform Act of 1993. This act contained the input of more money into the schools, higher academic standards and test students had to pass in order to receive their high school diplomas.  At first, the results were trivial and not benefiting areas with low-income families. However, with time the standards set by this act gave the teachers and students clarity of what is expected of them and accountability on the teachers and administrators behaves. The schools chose to teacher with more hands on learning and building on general ideas in each subject from year to year. This is what has led to Massachusetts’ eighth graders ranking second in the world for science and sixth in mathematics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/03/science/expecting-the-best-yields-results-in-massachusetts.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Another story that caught my eye was the article Leads Named for ‘Fifty Shades’ Film. Of course, in the past year Fifty Shades of Grey has been quite the buzz as the best-selling novel by E.L. James but now it is official headed to the big screen. The actors playing the lead roles of Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey are Dakota Johnson and Charlie Hunnam. Many of the fans have shared their initial concern through social networking sites on these rather unknown stars. The start date to begin filming is still unknown but the director will be Sam Taylor-Johnson. This movie is to be release in early August of next year.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/02/fifty-shades-film-gets-its-christian-and-anastasia/

While scanning through various styles of articles I believe The New York Times appeals to the masses. Its broad overview of many topics is what gets the attention of a multitude of readers. I believe this particular news outlet attracts the vast range of readers in college all the way to retired executives because it keeps the news current and does not clutter its paper with unwanted articles

I am surprised I actually enjoyed reading this newspaper because I tend to stick to sports news and not worry about anything else. However, while reading The New York Times I enjoyed seeing the variety of topics they covered throughout their newspaper. It kept me interested which is a hard thing to do with how active of a person I am.