Brazil Angry Over U.S. Spying

New York Times wrote an article on Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013 about the U.S. spying on Brazil. The story is about how Brazilian officials are weary to hear the National Security Agency was spying on President Dilma Rouseff. It has angered Brazilian officials among others the Mexican officials, but they were very quiet on commenting on the matter.

“This would be an unacceptable violation to our sovereignty involving our head of state,” Jose Eduardo Cardozo, Brazils justice minister, said in an interview. The N.S.A has been described using computer programs to filter through communication messages that they believe are aides to Ms. Rousseffs. It’s quite an unfolding story seeing how Brazil is the N.S.A.’s most spied-upon countries. This comes during a time when U.S. diplomats have been seeking to gain better ties with Brazil.

The American intelligence unit has been frowned upon because of eavesdropping violations that came about from 1964 to 1985. Brazilian Gen. Sinclair Mayer, the Army’s science and technology department, told the media of their plans to establish underwater Internet cables. These cables are supposed to link Brazil to Europe and Africa, while making it very hard for the U.S. to gain communication from other countries. Along with the underwater traffic, the Brazilian Postal Service has made it more difficult to encrypt messages.

The audience for this is obviously America and Brazil, but more so the countries that were believed to back America on the Syria attack. I believe it hurts relations with other countries. They may believe if America is spying on other countries that they can’t be trusted, and therefore wont back us on the attack. I really enjoyed reading this article, because it was interesting to listen to what the N.S.A is involved in. It’s a very serious matter, and I like reading articles that have to do with diplomatic affairs.

This entry was posted in 3372 by CJ. Bookmark the permalink.

About CJ

I am a Sophomore at Baylor University currently studying business. I plan to major in Entrepreneurial Management for the opportunity to hopefully own my own business. I am from the Natural State, the state many people call Arkansas, I lived in the capital, which is Little Rock and have nothing but great memories. Being in college would definitely be something I could consider an interest because the opportunities are limitless.