Waco Tribune-Herald Media Blog

2-4-13

The media outlet I covered today was the Waco Tribune-Herald. Its general topics in regards to news it covers are local news, statewide, and national, it also has a sports section. The topics the Waco Tribune-Herald cover are the topics that are the most popular day to day, I wouldn’t say that it covers one more than the other. This paper covers Waco and also the area around it, mostly just central Texas.

When opening the website the feature story is talking about newhomebuyers in Waco. In the article it talks about how the new housing market has changed the way people develop houses. Now we have more “pocket neighborhoods”, which mean its smaller houses with lower maintenance cost. The article shows the relationship between the market today and how the buyers are much tighter with their money than from the real-estate markets from years past.

An interesting article that appealed to me was about the Navy Seal being shot. In the article the “American Sniper“, it talks about how highly decorated the ex-Navy Seal, Chris Kyle. It gave background of his life and talked about the view by the Iraqi’s of him, which wasn’t good. Then at the end of the article it talked about Chris Kyle’s love for his non-profit organization, which helped veterans, if that being a walker or physical therapy for their injuries they sustained during their line of duty. The article didn’t really go over the shooters motive, but I think they will release more news as it becomes public. 

The other article I thought was interesting was about the Waco baseball history exhibit. In the article it talked about the history of the Waco amateur baseball league. It gave an overview of the history of the different leagues in Waco and the surrounding area. It also talks of an old Waco baseball stadium, Katy Park. It has many mementos from that stadium, such as the home plate. 

The audience for the Waco Tribune-Herald is probably ages 25 and up, consisting of well-educated clientele. I think it appeals to that audience because a lot of the articles have to do with politics and also city zoning, thus leaving me to the conclusion that it’s for that type of reader.

In my opinion, the Waco Tribune-Herald didn’t appeal to me. I felt that the paper was to thin and that it had a narrow basis to what it covers. Living in a town of 10,000 people and having my local newspaper being thicker than the Tribune-Herald, is baffling to me. But the articles were well written, I just wish they would have had more of a variety. 

-Will Nystrom