While we might have made it our war, the Vietnam War was about one group of people, the Vietnamese. Look at the sources bellow and create an interpretation of the Vietnamese perspective of the Vietnam War.
SOMETHING TO CONSIDER:
The photographs bellow are often excluded from our textbooks.
Is the Vietnam perspective accurately portrayed in the American History textbook?
Why might these images be excluded?
Vietnamese Soldier Interview
1. What was the purpose of interviewing the Vietnamese soldier?
2. Why did South Vietnam support the US?
3. What does Mr. Nguyen say was the key factor to losing the war?
1. What sticks out about the people in this photograph?
2. Who might they be running from?
1. Describe what is happening in this picture.
2. Why might this image not be presented in your U.S. history textbook?
3. How is this perspective different than the U.S. perspective?
1.Who is the man holding the gun and who is being executed?
2. Of the two men in the photograph, which one is considered an allie of the American people?
3. How do you think the Vietnamese perspective was shifted after this photograph was published?