Americorps VISTA Spotlight: Bethany Dieringer

What has been the most rewarding aspect of your work with coalitions this year?

Last month I had the pleasure of working with a few other VISTA members to compile stories from various coalition leaders across the state to ultimately create a cohesive video narrative of the work of our coalitions. Having the opportunity to witness the passion for collective action and sustainable change in each of these leaders was both rewarding and inspiring. I look forward to connecting with even more influential leaders in our network this year.

How has your previous experience, either educational, work, life, or some combination of all of these, informed your work with coalitions?

My background in studying the relationship between nutrition and the social dimensions of health has informed my work with coalitions by shaping my understanding of the systemic nature of disparities in access to health, healthcare, and healthy food. Effective coalition work recognizes that anti-hunger work is a long-haul effort. We will not implement one program, event, or work group that will effectively “solve” hunger in any given community. It will take dedicated time and effort across multiple sectors, people groups, and ideological backgrounds to implement sustainable, actionable change in promoting equitable access to healthy food for all.

What are you learning about the issues of hunger and poverty in your work with coalitions?

I think I have always had a recognition of the need for anti-hunger and poverty work in my community and beyond, though working closely with coalitions has helped me recognize the power of collective action and the tenacity our community leaders have for continuing to do this work. I started my VISTA service term mid-pandemic, and have been inspired by the dedication I have seen in coalition leaders, local government staff, and community members to keeping our communities nourished despite massive disruption to critical supply chains, access to funds, etc.

What are you learning about institutions and individuals working to alleviate hunger and poverty in your regions?

In the few months I have served as a VISTA with the Texas Hunger Initiative, I have witnessed individuals manage full-time jobs as city council members, pediatricians, food bank directors, etc. and their roles as coalition leaders in the midst of heightened rates of hunger and poverty during this pandemic. I have come to recognize their impressive level of dedication to this work, in which many of them likely put aside personal schedules to come together to collectively serve their communities to enact lasting positive change.

What is a “Big Idea” you have that you would like to see implemented by coalitions to address hunger and poverty in your regions?

I would love to see our coalitions work to include youth from their communities in the conversation of addressing hunger and poverty. There is great opportunity to teach our kids about the power of collective action and effective coalition work, and I think including youth in the conversation could be a critical step to establishing sustainable systemic change long-term.

________

Bethany Dieringer is serving as an Americorps VISTA in the Austin BCHP Office.