The Texas Collection posts newly accessible resources each month. If you have any questions or would like to use these materials, please let us know and we would be happy to assist!
- Sandra Hancock Trenwith Martin papers #591
The Sandra Trenwith Hancock Martin papers consist of letters from her time as a student at Baylor University and a memoir Rape in the Prayer Room.
- Texas Civil War Centennial Commission records #1006
- The Texas Civil War Centennial Commission records contain correspondence, reports, and agendas produced by the Commission in preparation for the 1961-1965 commemoration of the Civil War. Also included is a copy of the joint resolution passed by the U.S. Congress establishing the Commission.
- Alvah A. Torrance papers #3085
- The Alvah Allen Torrance papers highlight his work with the Amicable Life Insurance Company and its merger with American Life Insurance Company. Travel notebooks, correspondence, photographs, and several publications are included. Also included are slides of his work as an amateur photographer.
- Harris County Club for United Southern Action letter #1714
- The Harris County Club for United Southern Action collection contains a letter from J.H.H. Woodward to George Whiting describing the formation and intentions of the Harris County Club for United Southern Action and expressing strong anti-secession sentiment.
- Pauline Breustedt collection #1832
- The Pauline Breustedt collection documents the life and travels of a Waco resident from 1917 to 1969. Items of interest include scrapbooks, post cards, news clippings, and photographs of her personal interests, acting career, and travels.
- Joseph Sheppard Barnett, Jr. papers #499
- The Joseph Sheppard Barnett, Jr., papers contain letters, documents, and publications that relate to Barnett’s time in the armed forces during World War I and World War II, including many military documents from his time overseeing training at Camp Howze, Texas.
- [Waco] Jefferson-Moore High School Parent Teacher Association records #2876
- The [Waco] Jefferson-Moore High School Parent Teacher Association records document the involvement of the organization and outline their purpose, goals, and projects in relation to the school. Meeting minutes, including officers, programs, and financial reports, can be found in addition to newsletters and student directories.
Two new additions to the map collection are Phelps & Watson’s Historical and Military Map of the Border and Southern States (1863) and J.H. Colton’s Map of the Southern States (1864). Produced during the American Civil War, these maps offer a unique perspective because they focus explicitly on the geography of the Confederacy. Phelps & Watson’s Historical and Military Map of the Border and Southern States includes a booklet that provides detailed information on 100 battle. On the map itself, markings are used to indicate battle sites. Two of these, Galveston and Sabine City, are located in Texas.