Peer Learning

The scene last Sunday night was one that is getting to be the norm.  It’s a bunch of us at the business school, all around a couple of tables, trying to figure out what in the world is going on.  I think that this is the way that it might be for us – together, we understood most of what we needed to know.  Separately, we had holes in our knowledge before coming to this little study session.  It’s amazing how the book, lecture, and practice problems can still leave me in the dark, while a classmate understands what is going on and how to explain it.  Then, they might have a problem that they need help with, and I might be able to fill in.  Add in a decent cup of coffee or, in this case, some Raising Cane’s, and you’ve got a few good hours.

I’m learning how to do this whole peer learning thing, and it’s something that is good for me.  In seminary, I can usually read, write, and submit without having to talk to people, because the scope of the assignment is so different.  In business school, I have to do something different.  Learning to adapt and work with a team is something that I know will come in handy in the near future, and I’m excited that I have the opportunity to develop these skills now.

Also, it’s humbling asking for help.  There are long stretches when I feel like I’m the dumbest person in the group.  Then, I actually get something, can add to the group knowledge, and have the reassurance that there might actually be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Those are good days.

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Bombing Tests

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.