Mary Reflects on Her 25 Years at Baylor

This blog post was written by Director and Bob Bullock Archivist Mary Goolsby.

The old adage that time flies when you’re having fun rings true for me today as I celebrate 25 years as a member of the Baylor University Libraries Team. I have been fortunate to have great supervisors who were also mentors, encouraging me to stretch and grow personally and professionally.

Mary presents an award for the annual history fair.

Ruthann McTyre was head of the Music Library when I started working at Baylor. I often say “I was raised by Ruthann” to explain my approach to work and life. She encouraged me to go back to school 10 years after I graduated from Baylor to get a master’s degree in library science. I took her advice, and I’m glad I did. The Music Library faculty and staff were special. I recall pranks we pulled on each other, the day I looked up to find a bat on the ceiling of my office, and projects we successfully completed with joy.

Mary moderates a debate for county commissioners on behalf of the League of Women Voters.

The eight years I spent with John Wilson as my supervisor and mentor were great years. We imagined a better library system for Baylor students and faculty and raised external funds to make some of those dreams come true.

I was so fortunate to know and work with the wonderful donors who gave from their hearts to the libraries; many are still doing so. Meeting and visiting with authors we brought in for the Ferguson-Clark Lecture Series – Ernest Gaines, David McCullough, Lynn Truss, Bruce Feiler, John Meacham, and tenor Ronan Tynan – allowed me to be a literary fangirl in my late thirties.

Mary and Poage staff pose with former Representative Alan Steelman.

The last eleven years at Poage Library have been a time of developing technical and management skills and forming relationships with faculty, students, and staff. Ben Rogers was a model of focused work and kindness to others. I never thought I would become an archivist but am proud I pushed myself to learn a new discipline. I love Poage Library and the knowledgeable (and fun) colleagues I get to work with everyday.

Mary working with undergraduate students.

The Baylor Libraries are full of extraordinary people with servant hearts and toolkits bursting with just the right knowledge and skill to make a difference for each person they encounter. I am grateful to work alongside them. I feel grateful for 25 years of wonderful mentors, colleagues, donors, and student assistants who make Baylor the gem that she is. I am just grateful to be a part of the Baylor Libraries.

2 thoughts on “Mary Reflects on Her 25 Years at Baylor

1. Congratulations on this milestone!! I’m so pleased to have worked with you for a short time. Wishing you many more happy years to come! Patty

1. Patty, you are one of the bright stars of my years in the Music Library. I learned a lot from you and laughed a lot with you. Miss you, Mare!