It’s summer in Texas and needless to say, it is H O T! We are staying cool inside the Poage, especially in our Book Vault, and we’ve been busy compiling our summer to-do list. Here’s a sneak peak:
1. Welcome new student assistants! This summer we welcome Stephanie, Tori, Scott, and Lauren to Team Poage. We have the best students and we value their work tremendously! Here’s to a productive and fun summer, Team!
2. Processing- In the archival world, processing refers to the arrangement and description of a collection. This summer we are working on processing the papers of Theresa Seay, Gus Russo, and Ray Kirkpatrick just to name a few! Here’s a quick rundown of those collections:
- Theresa Seay wrote her dissertation on the Warren Commission at the University of Connecticut.
- Gus Russo, author of Brothers in Arms: the Kennedys, the Castros, and the Politics of Murder. The book was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize in 1998.
- Ray Kirkpatrick was a former state official who collected material related to legendary Texan Sam Rayburn
3. Exhibit Prep- 2013 marks the 50th anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. We will be honoring JFK in our fall exhibit, “John F. Kennedy: His Life, His Presidency, His Legacy.” Work is underway to gather material from our collections, design and install this exhibit for a September unveiling.
4. Summer Birthdays- On July 10, we will head to Austin to celebrate the life and legacy of Bob Bullock. Every year, the Bullock faithful – former staff, friends and family – gather at the State Cemetery to honor the late Lt. Governor on his birthday. Oh, and my birthday is August 7th 🙂
5. The Shelves are Coming!- Well, not quite yet but to prepare for our much-anticipated new compact shelving, we have a bit of rearranging to do in our current stacks.
And, last but not least, the staff will take a little time to visit with our families. Whether it’s grandchildren at the beach in South Carolina or in-laws in Conroe, Texas, we’ll take a few days to recharge our batteries and enjoy the sweet fellowship of family.
What are your summer plans?
Bob Bullock Archivist