I Wish I Had…

By Amy Hyde

So, this is my first blog post. Ever.

My hope is that these writings will encourage and give a “head’s up” to parents of prospective and current Baylor students. Sending a child off to college is new territory for each of us at some point in time. And because for some who have not done it before, we may not completely confident in how to do it. A friend to join alongside is a nice thing. After all, we’re all in this together!

Our oldest son, Nathan, started Baylor in the fall of 2009. His brother, Austin, joined him in 2012. As Austin nears the completion of his bachelor’s degree, I reflect on these wonderful years of joy, trials, achievement, and loss.

So, if I could do it all over again, what would I do differently?

1. Jump in the local Baylor Parent Network group sooner rather than later. During my early years as a Baylor parent, I rarely attended the events offered. When I joined, I found bright peers with whom I’ve enjoyed wonderful relationships.

2. Send more packages from home. While Nathan and Austin always expressed great appreciation for goodies they received while away at school, I think I underestimated the power of that “hug” from home. Whether the packages contained something homemade or purchased, edible or usable, notes of appreciation for their hard work or encouragement during a tough time, these bundles always lifted their spirits.

3. Pray more with other parents. We’ve always been a praying family. But there is something very special and powerful about praying together with and for other parents and their children. There is a closeness that comes from this bond that is hard to match in any other way. I am thankful that prayer and honoring God as our Creator and Sustainer are actions that are valued and supported by Baylor University.

So, how can you become involved in any or all of these ways from the get-go?

Check out the Baylor Parents Network to see what’s happening in your area: http://www.baylor.edu/alumni/parentsnetwork/ If there isn’t a chapter where you live, contact Judy Maggard or Leigh Ann Marshall in the Parent’s Network Office. They’ll be happy to get you connected.

Then you can say “I’m glad I did” instead of “I wish I had”.

Love, grace and sic ‘em,
Amy