On (not) eating healthy

I try to eat healthy, but I don’t have to like it. Actually, I have no intention of trying to eat “healthy” to either improve my health or lengthen my life. I think that most foods which are marketed as healthy are a marketing gimmick designed to play off of the fears of an unthinking consumer market that thinks it can buy health. I figure that since my grandfather ate half-cooked bacon, ate doughnuts fried in lard, loved brown gravy on his pork chops, and lived to age 92, I’ve got a fighting chance of making 92 as well. I eat steak and butter, despise tofu with a pure passion, think rabbits are well-fed with lettuce (but I’m not), love blueberry pie, and am a connoisseur of chocolate in its endless varieties and mutations. Bacon is good, but popped rice cakes were invented by someone who was very unhappy with life. Trying to count calories will only lead to frustration and unhappiness unless you are trying to see how many calories you can actually consume in one day and not get sick. The joke will be on all of us when we find out the most health food, or food that producers claim to be healthy, has no effect on how long we live or how healthy we are. If you eat average quantities of food and stay away from sugary drinks, you will probably be okay no matter what you eat. I often get the feeling that “low-fat” products are really just “high-sugar” and “high salt” products instead. I think that eating old-fashioned, home-cooked meals in an orderly normal fashion will probably do you no harm no matter what you eat. Probably the only food which is excessively bad for all of us is too much sugar, which was not a large part of our diet as we evolved on the pampas and plains of Africa a million years ago. We get into unhealthy eating habits, not because the food is unhealthy, but because we are way too sedentary today for our own good.