For the time of God is NOW, and the New Movement of God’s Spirit is closer than your very skin. Transform your heart and mind and entire way of viewing the world and believe in this transformation, because it is good news. — Mark 1:15
What does it mean to practice presence? Christian scriptures tell us time and again that the time of God is now…God is present in the Temple, the Holy Spirit is present within us…Paul says that we are the new Temple and that God indwells within us…what does all of this mean?
It seems to point to the fact that we have once again missed the point of Christian spirituality that turns everything upside-down…we are so busy doing and preparing for the future or remembering and focusing on the past that we have forgotten about the present…and presence…
Brother Lawrence says we should practice the presence of God in all that we do…even washing dishes…and I suppose what’s implied is that we should do this even in studying!
But how do we practice the presence of God when we can’t even be present to ourselves…in this moment…can we just be here now?
Well, if fasting is stopping the things (addictions) that prevent our transformation, then practicing presence is what we should be doing once those road blocks are gone. Don’t fill the void of binge watching Netflix by over-exercising! That’s just replacing one addiction with another. Instead, practice being here…now…in the moment.
Prayer of Presence
- Breathe in (4 seconds), breathe out (4 seconds)
- Breathe in (5 seconds), breathe out (5 seconds)
- Breathe in (6 seconds), breathe out (6 seconds)
- Breathe in (7 seconds), breathe out (7 seconds)
- Breathe in (8 seconds), breathe out (8 seconds)
- Sit in silence for 5 minutes letting go of all the busy-ness in your head, focusing on the present moment…listening to your breath…feeling the sensations and emotions of the moment…not thinking about the past or the future…letting go…
I am here, o Lord…I am here…