20 December 2020 – Reflection

A Kingdom Without an End

Psalm 89:1-4, 9-26; Romans 16:5-27; Luke 1:26-38

The call of Mary to birth Jesus, shows us the ability we have to participate in God’s work in this world. We are participants, each used with our unique and different skills to proclaim God’s glory in this world. What a beautiful thing to be a part of…

Mary was potentially just going about her daily work when an angel appeared. She was frightened, and I think not only because of the sudden appearance of a majestic being, but also because of the message he brought. With this, I am reminded of the prophets of ancient times who were messengers to the people of Israel. Sometimes they had good news and other times they brought bad news. Mary, being Jewish, knew about these types of encounters and maybe that was partly her fear. Then, the angel proceeds to tell her that she is going to be with child and his name was to be Jesus. The child she would carry was the Son of the Most High, the one who had been given the throne of His father David, and whose kingdom will have no end. Of course, Mary knew about the awaited Messiah before the angel told her about him, and I can’t help but put myself in her shoes and think of all the emotions and ideas she must have gone through. Finally, she responds with “I am the Lord’s servant. May it be to me as you have said.” She was obedient and surrendered to God’s calling of bringing Jesus into this world.

Mary was fearful, but a kingdom without an end – where God’s Spirit moves in and with Creation – is worth it. When I think of this I am reminded of this verse:

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

Being part of this world is hard. This year has most certainly proven it in many ways. However, we are still called to be the shining light in this world, and I am encouraged to know that the most awaited Jesus promised us peace. Live out your calling and spread love. The Prince of Peace is with you, so do not fret.

If you feel overwhelmed take some time for yourself. Take deep breaths and bring your focus to Jesus…He is our Healer, our Counselor, and Lord of Lords. You are not alone.