jump to navigation

Catching up with Baylor Alumna Sarah Dodd May 12, 2021

Posted by Mia Moody-Ramirez in : Uncategorized , trackback

By Mia Moody-Ramirez, Ph.D.

JPR&NM is excited to welcome Baylor communications alumna Sarah Dodd to the Journalism, Public Relations and New Media Advisory Board in the fall. Dodd is an expert public affairs strategist and award-winning former journalist.

Here’s a look at what she has been doing since she graduated from Baylor University.

Spending more than a decade uncovering stories as a television news reporter, Dodd has been around the world interviewing elected officials, four-star generals and corporate executives. In 2007, she started Dodd Communications, specializing in media strategy, crisis communications, public affairs and community relations.

As a journalist, Dodd covered local, state and national politics. She worked as a television anchor/reporter in Dallas for seven years, and during that time she broke some of the most significant stories in the city. Her investigative work led to one of the largest federal corruption investigations in the history of Dallas politics.

“I am very proud to be part of the Baylor alumni network,” Dodd said. “I never imagined where my career would take me. The foundations my degree gave me prepared me for many professional career options.”

Dodd also discussed the dramatic changes in the journalism industry over the past 25 years.

“Email was a new thing when I graduated,” she said. “Facebook hadn’t been invented yet. Social media has changed many things.”

Dodd’s long-term relationships with media, elected officials and community leaders give her a unique insider’s advantage in developing unconventional strategies for public affairs and crisis communications issues.

Her advice to future journalists is to be prepared for any options at arise and to have an open mind.

“I started my career in journalism at 22,” she said. “It is different from where I am at 47. Now, I have owned my own business. Be open to where the road may lead you.”

Comments»

no comments yet - be the first?