Food, Football, and Free Bibles

I remember in undergrad when I would say, “School stinks but college is fun.”  This line of thinking insinuates that classes are boring, but what you get to do outside of class is a blast. However, in graduate school everything is honestly blast and a half. I’m not saying that it’s not hard by any means, but it is definitely enjoyable. I feel like my classes are relevant to what I will be doing in the future, and that makes it so much easier to be fully engaged and excited about learning. I could tell you about all of my classes and all that I’m learning, but you could just find that here. So, I’ll skip you the misery and fill you in on some of the incredible things I’ve gotten to experience outside of the classroom!

The Etiquette Dinner 

img_6246

Yes, the cheesecake was as good as it looks in the picture! During this dinner, we received real-time feedback on our table manners and how to eat properly. Unfortunately, the days of finger food are limited for us. I got corrected two times that evening, once for placing my butter knife upside down and another time for not placing my fork across the plate correctly. Who knew there were so many rules!

The Bible Presentation with the Robbins 

Processed with Snapseed.

img_6288

The two people you see above are Uncle Bill and Mary Jo Robbins, and they are absolutely incredible. With a quick Google search, you’ll discover that the healthcare program at Baylor is named in honor of them. Uncle Bill also has a sense of humor that is sure to catch you off guard! Mary Jo knew every single healthcare student’s name before she met us. She quickly greeted me with, “And you are John Pham right?” The directors of our program told us that she asks for everyone’s picture and name so that she can pray for us every night. Cue, the *awwws.* At the bible presentation, they presented us with our own Baylor bibles that had our names in calligraphy on the inside. It was a pretty special evening.

The Sky Suite 

Processed with Snapseed.

Processed with Snapseed.

Our program has also provided opportunities for us to network with healthcare executives at football games so that we can begin developing relationships with people who are currently in the industry. Did I mention there was also a buffet in the suite? The etiquette dinner is already coming in handy. Also, Baylor football is now 4-0 and ranked number 13 in the nation! Sic ‘Em!

It’s hard not to fall in love with this program and the people in it. I firmly believe that the Lord has guided my steps and that I am exactly where I need to be. We are only 5 weeks into the program, and there are so many more adventures ahead!

P.S. I am highly considering a mission trip to Athens over spring break with Baylor! More on that crazy adventure soon.