Spring Break in Spain

By Molly “Liz” Snyder

Liz is a sophomore International Studies major and Russian and Non-Profit Studies minor from Sugar Land, Texas.

Spring Break, 2019, I took a mission trip with my home church Columbus Avenue Baptist Church and we went to Denia Spain. I got involved with the mission trip through the CABC college ministry. While we were in Denia, we partnered with a church that runs a private school called Alpha and Omega.

My little team within our group specifically worked with two-year-olds and fifth graders. We sang songs about Jesus and told fun bible stories for the two-year-olds. They really like Noah’s ark because we got to play with all the animal toys. With the fifth graders, we focused on thinking, concentration, and decisions. We did everything from crossword puzzles, to dot to dots, to hand clapping games, and story examples. They especially liked games with a competitive element! Also, since the fifth graders were a little bit older, we did stories like the Good Samaritan and talked about what decision was best and what we would do in that situation. I have been studying Russian and found some students at the school that were from Moscow, and their parents were working in Denia. This gave us a fun little time to speak some Russian. On this trip, we went to support Columbus Avenue’s sister church in Denia.

We visited different bible studies during the week and encouraged our fellow Christians and bonded over our love for the Lord and the country of Spain. My little team visited a home group in Ondara, and got to see one of our kids from the school! We had a lot of fun hanging out and getting to know each other better.

I went on this mission trip to not only serve, and share the gospel, but also to get exposure to different cultures, which is important as an International Studies Major. On our trip, there was a focus on loving the kids and showing Jesus to them, and also encouraging our brothers and sisters in Christ in Spain.