Writing with Dogs: How Your Pet Can Aid Your Writing Process

As a grad student, one of the biggest hurdles to overcome is figuring out first, what a work-life balance is, and second, how to make that balance feasible for yourself. For many students, pets become one way to reinforce this type of balance: making sure you’re taking time off by having someone around who depends on you. However, when the busy part of the semester rolls around and assignments begin piling up, it’s easy to feel like your life becomes all work and no balance, and that you’re not spending as much time with your pet as you’d like. As the owner of a quite active Corgi, this is a challenge I’ve faced as well, so this week’s article is dedicated to areas where your dog can not only be involved in your writing, but even improve your routine.

Getting Out of the House

Whether it’s in a home office or a designated spot on campus, always writing in the same space can leave you feeling burnt out and uninspired. As a result, you may need to change up the scenery once in a to refresh and reset your writing process. And the good new is, you can bring your dog along while you do this! Many libraries, restaurants, or even coffee shops have outdoor (and sometime indoor) areas where pets are welcome. So the next time you feel the need for a change in routine, take your dog along. Not only will this provide them with great socialization, it’s also a helpful reminder for when to pack up and go home for the day. After all, you might be willing to work overtime, but chances are, your dog knows exactly when meals are supposed to be served and won’t hesitate to remind you. And for those writers, like myself, who work best by verbally processing ideas, having a dog present to talk to can be a lot easier than trying to discuss things all by yourself.

Having outdoor time scheduled with your dog periodically throughout the day is also a way to set stronger boundaries for yourself around your writing while also taking time away from your workplace. Taking a walk, playing games outdoors, or just getting that breath of fresh air offers a chance to declutter your thoughts and get new inspiration for your next step in the writing process. So schedule those things in a way that both works for your dog, and helps you take much-needed rest from your own labors.  

Meeting Other People

Writing groups are wonderful places where you have the opportunity to both hold yourself accountable to and receive encouragement from others who are traveling on the same journey as yourself. Connecting with other student dog owners can also be a great way to form writing community. Maybe it’s in a backyard, public park, or even one of those coffee shops mentioned earlier, but bringing your dogs along to writing group can help enrich that sense of camaraderie in your group through connecting over experiences outside the workplace, while also helping you get an occasional change of scenery. While the pups play, you can make some headway on your writing project, and head home at the end of your meeting knowing that not only have you done good work, but your dog is probably so tired from playing with buddies, that you won’t need to exercise him as much for the rest of the day.  

Cultivating a Routine

One of the real benefits of dog ownership is that it helps you cultivate a sense of routine. You may not always feel like adhering to the same rhythms of life, but your dog will. Having set times of the day where you sit quietly to write is also something your dog will remember, and you can reinforce that memory as a way of holding yourself accountable. For myself, after a couple of hours at my desk in the mornings, I like to do some training or games with my dog. As a result, while I’m writing, he typically takes a nap under my chair or around the house, but when 10:30am arrives, he is up and ready to remind me of that breaktime. Not only does this help strengthen the rhythm of breaks and breathing space that I’ve set for myself, but having that pseudo-deadline in the back of my mind helps keep me motivated during the hours of writing leading up to it. And then, once I’ve taken some time away from my work to engage in an activity that’s totally different, I’m able to reconnect with my projects both rested and rejuvenated.

Space

But most importantly, let your dog help you enjoy the writing process. There’s few things cozier or more relaxing than having a pet curled up nearby while you work, where you can give them a pat on the head or a good scritch behind the ears once in awhile. It’s a nice reminder that writing does not have to be a manic or stressful process, and that you can still take your time and enjoy yourself throughout your end-of-semester projects. Of course, if your dog is anything like mine, you can’t let him get too close to the keyboard while you work: it’s nearly impossible to type when he insists on periodically licking all the keys.