Participant Accounts

While fathers and mothers were coming home with little or no money, children were struggling for survival. Harsh winters would have children walking the streets begging for money to stay clothed through the cold bitter winter nights. Below are personal accounts of 3 children who lived during the Great Depression. When reading their different perspectives, think about their living conditions. Put yourself in their shoes and identify what problems these children were facing in their everyday lives and answer the following questions.

Nine Year Old Girl Asking for Money

[Boston, Massachusetts acknowledged Apr. 27, 1938]

My dear Lady,

I am a little girl 9 years of age, I have a mother, and father, and two smaller sisters.

About four months now, my father opened a small grocery store . . . It isn’t easy for him to pay all of his bills, because his money is very little. Nobody seems to help us. And sometimes my mother cryes because maybe we’ll loose the store. I’m always sorry because I’m still young and I can’t help much. I was thinking of You, because I always see You in the paper with a smile in Your face. And I know that You have a kind heart. I thought if I wrote to You, maybe You would help us, with a little money and then with Your help I can help my father.

Your’s truly,

M. K.

Questions

1. What obstacles does the young girl face?
2. Why is her father having trouble keeping the store open?
3. From her writing, do you think the girl is still able to go to school? Why or why not?
4. Why does she think the First Lady can help?
5. What does this account tell you about the lives of children and teens in the great depression?

A Thirteen Year Old Girl Asks the President for a Coat to Wear to School

Phila.,
Penna. Sept. 7, 1936

Dear Mrs. Roosevelt,

I am a young girl of thirteen and I have great ambitions. My parents are very devout, but poor people. During the past eight years, we have always lived very close to the school and we still do, but I graduated from grammar and I have a great distance to walk every day. Therefore I have to be well equipped. My parents have six other children. It is extremely hard to provide our family with food, shelter, and clothing on an income of $19.60. It is my heart’s desire to become a school teacher. I often think of giving my parents all the luxuries I am denied. For instance a lovely home with everything a couple of old folks could want. I only hope they will live that long. My object for writing this letter is ask your aid in helping me to get a lovely coat to wear to school. Won’t you help me Mrs. Roosevelt? I need one so badly. If I don’t get one soon I will have to miss school and I dread the ordeal. Just any kind you feel I should have. Will you kindly send it. Oh Mrs. Roosevelt you don’t know how much we will appreciate your gift. I live in the rural part of North Philadelphia and I have to walk to 15th & Wallace Streets. I beseech you to help me please. I do believe you will help me.

Prayerfully yours, G. H.

P.S.
I forgot my size Sweet sixteen

Questions
1. What is the girl asking for?
2. Why do you think she has to walk to school?
3. Who is the girl writing to?
4. What does her family’s income tell you about the jobs her parents have?
5. With six kids and low income, what might their home be like?

A Young Girl asks the President for Money to Attend College

Wachapreague, Va.
June 20, 1934

Dear Mrs. Roosevelt,

Please don’t consider this a foolish idea but, I knew no other to call on for help than the one who has been a mother to the country, regardless of color or creed.

Mrs. Roosevelt, I am eager for an education. I have worked out since I was m yrs old. I missed four school terms out of school, and graduated from high school at the age of 19 yrs.

I want to enter college in September. I have’nt a dime, and I cannot find work. What shall I do? To whom shall I turn to for help if you fail me? Mrs. Roosevelt I feel that you can help me and I feel that you will.

I am willing to work for you night and day to pay you for all that you do for me. Help me if you can.

The school that I have made application for is West Virginia StateTeach¬ers College, Institute, W. Virginia.

I want to make a woman of my self. I want to be some body. Help me in any way that you can. I’ll do any kind of honest work and I have had lots of experience.

I have a good reccomendation. Please, Mrs. Roosevelt, may I count on you to help me? I am sick at heart.

I graduated in “33” and I have been out of school all this winter.

I hope to hear from you at once please.

Sincerely yours

B. A. G.

Questions

1. Why do you think it took so long for this girl to graduate?
2. Why would this hurt her in going to college?
3. Why is she trying to go to college?
4. What is she willing to do for the First Lady?
5. From her opening paragraph, why do you think the writer includes “regardless of color or creed”?