What is Parallels? “A fast, easy, and powerful application for running Windows on your Intel or Apple M Series Mac—all without rebooting.” (from Parallels.com)
Why would a Mac User Need to Install a Windows Application? There are a handful of Windows applications with no Mac version or a Mac version with less functionality provided. Examples include ArcGIS Pro, NodeXL, NVivo, and Power BI.
How Much does Parallels Cost? At the time of this post (October 2022), the cost is $50 for the Academic version. From this page (https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/buy) click the Student & Educators tab.
Is there an Additional Cost for a Windows License? No. Baylor provides Windows 11 licenses to Baylor researchers. Follow the following steps:
- Head to the Baylor Help Desk for Windows: https://helpdeskplus.web.baylor.edu/software/microsoft-windows
- Click the link for ‘download Windows 10 or Windows 11 through Microsoft’s Azure Development Platform‘
- Click to sign in and use your Baylor credentials
- Under Free Software, click Explore All
- There should be two versions of Windows 11. The recommended license is Windows 11 Education.
- Windows Education N includes the same functionality as Windows Education, except that it does not include certain media related technologies (Windows Media Player, Camera, Music, TV & Movies) and does not include the Skype app.
- Click the version of Windows 11 that you select.
- On the right, a tab with details will appear. Click the View Key button.
- Copy this license key and use to register your copy of Windows.