Project Title: Social Work Asset Mapping
Description: Demonstrate how Reference USA business directory can be used for social services asset mapping before conducting a windshield survey. Designed for SWO 5375.01 Advanced Practice I: Community Practice course.
- Dr. Gaynor Yancey, Baylor School of Social Work
- Joshua Been, Baylor Libraries
- Sinai Wood, Baylor Libraries
- Download 5-year American Community Survey (ACS) data by Census block group data from IPUMS NHGIS.
- Download various social services organizations, places of worship, and other business types by Primary SIC code from Reference USA for McLennan County, TX.
- Used the Bing mapping API through the GPS Visualizer site to geocode the listings.
- QGIS application used to buffer the business locations by 10 feet in order to be able to merge them with the block group polygons.
- Used the ‘merge shapefiles to one’ function within QGIS to combine block group shapefile containing variables and business location buffers.
- Build visualization within Tableau.