Chanse Sonsalla: May ’19 Grad & Peace Corps Volunteer

What year did you graduate from Baylor and what did you study?

I graduated from Baylor in May 2019 with a double major in Economics and Russian.

Why did you decide to join the Peace Corp?

I decided to join the Peace Corps because it was a great opportunity to experience and aid a community much different than anything I’d experienced before. It’s also a good way to see parts of the world that aren’t normally traveled.

Which country have you been assigned and what will you be doing?

I’ve been assigned to Sierra Leone, as an English teacher, though I might be assigned to other subjects as needed.

What is something you are currently excited about in your work?

I’m excited about working in a classroom that will be very different than any that I found in the United States.

Did you study abroad while at BU and if so: which program, which year, and favorite memory?

I didn’t study abroad while at Baylor, so this is my first time living internationally.

What are you hoping to take away from this experience?

My main goal, the thing which I hope to achieve in the Peace Corps, is to achieve a better understanding of how to integrate myself into a social setting completely different than my own. I want to learn the best way to aid under-served communities.

Do you have any advice for current Baylor students considering the Peace Corp (or Study Abroad)?

If you are applying to the Peace Corps, consider that you will not only be much more likely to attain a post, but also to be a productive volunteer, if you apply with a flexible mindset. While the Peace Corps considers the preferences of its members, they place the needs of the people they are trying to help first. Know that you are signing up for a position that is not just “service-oriented” but that is defined by service.