“He Didn’t Get In!!!”

What a great day to be a Baylor Bear!  I have seen a lot of football games in my life, but last year’s Big 12 Championship game at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, was one of the most exciting games I have ever witnessed.  During that game, our No. 9 Baylor Bears shocked the No. 5 Cowboys from Oklahoma State with FOUR defensive stands on Baylor’s 1-yard line, including a thrilling goal-line stop on fourth down to win the game.  The memory of Jairon McVea’s heroic tackle to seal the game still makes me giddy. 

Speaking of McVea, he will be making a special appearance in the Letterwinners Lounge during the pregame meal on Saturday. I hope you are able to join us as we welcome him to our letterwinner family and show our appreciation for his outstanding contributions to Baylor football.

While that play will live on in our memories, the reality is winning rarely happens because of one play in a ball game. It happens through an accumulation of smaller battles that are won throughout the entire ball game.  It happens in the trenches on both sides of the ball, one play at a time. It happens in the dedicated preparation of both the coaches and players. As letterwinners, we also know that it happens when our home crowd shows up in large numbers and fills McLane Stadium with loud support. 

Although our playing days are far behind us, we can still play an important role in helping the Bears achieve victory on Saturday. No doubt, Oklahoma State will be seeking revenge. The stakes are high, and the challenge will be real. As champions, we would have it no other way. What an exciting opportunity. I look forward to joining you in the battle on Saturday. Let’s go get it!

Sic ’em!

Walter Abercrombie

Executive Director

To return to the home page, click here.