Focusing on the Broader Picture

What a great day to be a Baylor Bear! People often ask me why I begin my blog posts with such optimism about Baylor, especially during unstable and uncertain times. My answer is simple. I push aside emotional bias and focus on a broader picture of any situation. There is a lot of positive stuff in that broader perspective.  No matter how dark or fuzzy a situation may appear, when I remove emotions and take a step back to widen my view, I discover much more information that allows me to understand the problem and focus on solutions and opportunities.  Focusing only on the negative aspects of any challenge can be like watching a movie in a dark theater wearing sunglasses. There are opportunities ahead. Now is the time to focus on finding them. 

It’s been a very busy spring and summer for the “B” Association.  First, we moved our offices to the Letterwinners Lounge at McLane Stadium to make room for a growing Baylor Athletics Department.  Associate Director, Tammy Hardin and new “B” Association staff member Madison Elliott are now working from our front main office in the lounge.  My new office is just a few steps away down the Jim and Julie Turner Family Hall.  Madison recently finished her Masters Degree from Texas A&M and serves as our Digital Media and New Membership Coordinator. We are thrilled that she is now a Baylor Bear. I hope you will join me in welcoming her to the Baylor family. 

On July 19, the “B” Association hosted the annual Baylor Football Coaches Mixer during the Texas High School Coaches Convention which was held in San Antonio this year. Coach Dave Aranda and his staff drew the largest attendance ever to the event. The mixer gives Baylor alumni an additional opportunity to get to know our football staff and discuss plans for the upcoming season. 

On Friday, July 30, the Texas Rangers will be hosting their annual Baylor Night at Globe Life Field in Arlington. The Rangers will take on the Seattle Mariners at 7:05pm. Receiving special recognition at the ballgame will be Baylor’s 2021 NCAA Championship Men’s Basketball team. Standout guard/forward Matthew Mayer will toss out the first pitch.  I hope you will join us to pay tribute to our newest national champions. 

Finally, I am thrilled to inform you that “B” Association memberships are up significantly at this point in the year.  I am most grateful to you for responding to our calls for your support and for keeping the “B” Association a priority in your lives. To be clear, without your support, there would be no “B” Association. 

Please know that despite the ever-changing landscape in college athletics, my staff and I remain steadfast in our efforts and committed to our vision of being the strongest, most active letterwinners association in the nation. We still have much work to do, but I am confident that with your help and involvement, our vision will become a reality. 

Sic ‘em!

Walter Abercrombie

Executive Director

To return to the home page, click here.