An Example of Servant Leadership

Dear Baylor Letterwinners, 

In difficult times like these, it can be a challenge to pierce through the clouds of despair to see God’s hands still at work. For years, I began my columns with the inspiring phrase, “It’s a great day to be a Baylor Bear.” Those words resonated with many Baylor Letterwinners because, as athletes, no matter the conditions, we were trained to focus on the positive and to view all challenges as opportunities. That mindset made us better.  We learned to sharpen our steel against the stones of adversity, and because we were Baylor Bears, we did so while humbly professing our faith and acknowledging that our athletic gifts were from God.

Today, I am so proud that I chose Baylor to display those gifts, receive a quality education, and become lifelong friends with some of the finest men and women in the world — Baylor Letterwinners. Daily, I witness the lives and works of those letterwinners who have become amazing leaders in their homes, churches, schools, and communities. While their collective impact on our society may not be easily noticed, their existence is living proof that God is still present and His hands are still at work through them. So, for those reasons and despite all the craziness in the world today, I am still inspired to say, it’s a great day to be a Baylor Bear!  

Earlier this month, we lost a dear friend, coach, and mentor with the passing of Dutch Schroeder. Over the past few weeks, I have visited with letterwinners from various sports and eras who shared with me their memories about Dutch and how he uniquely touched and influenced their lives. He was a lot of things to a lot of people.  In hearing their stories, I noticed a reoccurring theme — Dutch was a one-of-a-kind human being and a true servant leader. Inside of his rough and tough outer shell, there was man with a heart of pure gold who cared deeply about others. I could literally write for hours about my experiences with him, but I will limit my comments to one experience I had with him that sums up who he was. 

When I accepted the position of Executive Director of the “B” Association, in 2004, Dutch had already retired from his teaching position at Baylor and he was still handling much of the day to day duties at the association. He graciously showed me the ropes and mentored me in my new position. I’ll never forget how he patiently coached me along the way and accepted my lofty vision for the organization. One day, as the football season approached, he walked into my office and asked me to follow him to the restrooms.  At the time, we were still hosting game days at the old “B” room at Floyd Casey Stadium. He showed me how to clean and prepare the restroom stalls, replace the toilet paper, and refill the paper towels and soap dispensers at the sinks. Naturally, I began to wonder if I had made a mistake taking the job. Then, to my horror, he escorted me to the women’s restroom. We repeated the same routine there. But, I noticed a distinct difference in the women’s stalls. Inside each stall was what appeared to me to be small mailboxes fastened to the stall walls. He handed me a box of latex gloves and instructed me to empty the boxes after each game. When I learned what was in those boxes, well, you can imagine the look on my face.  Two months into my new job and I learned, right then and there, the full scope of my executive responsibilities. 

I’ll always cherish that memory because Dutch taught me humility in my role by being an example of servant leadership. Thankfully, we no longer have to clean stalls, but the lesson stuck with me. Thank you, Coach. We will miss you dearly. 

Walter Abercrombie

Associate AD/Executive Director, Baylor “B” Association

To return to the home page, click here.