It Is Good!

As we navigate through these unprecedented times with the COVID-19 pandemic, I pray you and your loved ones are healthy and safe. Please continue to take necessary precautions, but most importantly, remain encouraged. This, too, shall pass. 

Recently, my 23-year-old son and I were discussing the importance of faith in the midst of troubles. He reminded me of a story I told him when he was a child. Through the years, I had forgotten the story, but it’s a good one and appropriate to share in our current reality. By the way, you never know what things your kids remember when you’re attempting to teach them. I hope you enjoy the story below:

A beloved and powerful African King had a close friend with whom he grew up. The friend was well-known for always having a positive attitude. No matter the outcome of any situation, good or bad, the friend saw it as positive and would always say, “It is good!”

One day the King and his friend were out on a hunting expedition. The friend would load and prepare the guns for the King. On that particular day, the friend did something wrong in preparing one of the guns and after taking the gun from his friend, the King fired it and his thumb was blown off. Examining the situation the friend remarked as usual, “Oh my King, it is good,” to which the King angrily replied, “No, this is NOT good!” Bleeding and frustrated, the King ordered his soldiers to arrest his friend and throw him in the dungeon.

About a year later, the King was hunting in an area that he should have known to stay clear of. A tribe of cannibals captured the King and took him to their village. They tied his hands, bound him to a stake, and stacked wood around his body.

As they came near to set fire to the wood, they noticed that the King was missing a thumb. Being superstitious, they never ate anyone that was less than whole. The cannibal Chief untied the King from the stake and sent him on his way. As the King returned home, he remembered the event that had taken his thumb and felt remorse about his treatment of his childhood friend. He went immediately to the dungeon to speak with him. “You were right,” the King said, “it was good that my thumb was blown off.” He proceeded to tell his friend all about the terrifying experience with the cannibals and expressed regret for sending him to prison. “It was bad for me to do this to you, old friend, the King said remorsefully.”

“No,” his friend replied, “It is good!”

“What do you mean? How could it be good that I sent you to this awful prison for a year?”

“Oh King, if you had not sent me to prison, I would have been hunting with you and certainly eaten alive — for you see, I have ALL of my fingers. So, it is good!” – The end.

All things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose.” (Rom. 8:28)

Situations may not always be pleasant while we are experiencing them but the promise of God is clear. If we love Him and live our lives according to His precepts, even dark and seemingly hopeless situations will be used by God for His glory and our benefit.

Hold on, God is faithful! May He bless you this week as you seek His will in every situation.

Sic ’em!

Walter Abercrombie
Executive Director, Baylor “B” Association

To return to the home page, click here.

5 thoughts on “It Is Good!