Another Year of Great Things to Come

What a great day to be a Baylor Bear! I hope this message finds you all doing well and enjoying the warm summer weather. This time of year brings back memories of my days in football training camp and the physical challenges my teammates and I faced. I have fond memories of those times, but it was truly a miracle we survived the heat in those two-a-day, sometimes three-a-day workouts.  

Speaking of training camp, Coach Rhule and the Bears have begun their preparations for the 2019 football season which kicks off in just 24 days. The Bears officially begin their season at home on Saturday, August 31 vs. Stephen F. Austin at 6:00pm. Coming off of an amazing turnaround season and an impressive Texas Bowl victory over Vandy in 2018, I fully expect the Bears to build on that success and produce another winning season in 2019. Along with the anticipated success of our other sports programs, I am confident it will be an exciting year for all of us, and I look forward to sharing in that excitement with you.

It is the mission of the “B” Association to provide opportunities to enhance relationships with all letterwinners and your families. Our annual social events are designed to help us accomplish that mission. These events also allow us to keep you informed and connected to Baylor Athletics. We invite you to review our yearly calendar here and join us at any of the letterwinner events throughout the year. You are always welcomed to come home and reunite with your Baylor family through the “B” Association. Looking back over the year, here are a few of the social events hosted by the “B” Association in the spring and summer of 2019:

Feb. 9 –     Sic ‘em Bears Double Header Basketball Luncheon
Apr. 5 –      24th Annual Letterwinner Fightin’ Bear Golf Classic
Apr. 6 –      Breakfast with the Bears (Special spring fb practice viewing for letterwinners)
Apr. 20 –    Annual Track & Field Alumni Reunion & BBQ
June 21 –   Baylor Alumni Night w/ the Rangers (Honoring Baylor Football) – Arlington
July 21 –    Alumni Coaches Mixer at THSCA (Texas High School Coaches Association) – Houston

Video Wall Upgrade in Lounge
We are very fortunate to have our beautiful Letterwinners Lounge at McLane Stadium. Over the last 15 years, I have visited quite a few college campuses across the nation, and I have yet to see a letterwinners facility as large, as beautiful and as unique as ours. Not only do our members and their families get to enjoy it exclusively on game days, it is regularly used for athletics department meetings, team banquets, and recruiting functions. An important part of managing a facility like the Letterwinners Lounge is to make sure it is always in top working condition, so recently we decided to replace the outdated TV projection system with a new 25 x 10 ft. LED video wall which will provide a much larger, more vivid, and dynamic viewing experience. The video wall will be used for multiple purposes including normal TV viewing, as well as PowerPoint presentations, and other audio & video playback usages. The project has already begun and the technicians are working hard to complete it in time for the first home game. We know you will love it.

Please enjoy the remainder of the summer, and I look forward to seeing you at the game on August 31.

Sic ’em!

Walter Abercrombie
Executive Director, Baylor “B” Association

To return to the main page, click here.