Embracing a “More Beyond” Attitude

According to Greek mythology, Hercules constructed two pillars near the Straits of Gibraltar to mark the edge of the then known world. These pillars bore the three Latin words, “Ne Plus Ultra” or “No More Beyond.” Spain later adopted the phrase as their motto and to serve as a signal to sailors and navigators to go no farther, essentially shutting the door on possibility. The Spaniards truly believed their explorers had reached the outer limits of the earth.

Then, Christopher Columbus made his voyages and changed the world forever. In Valladolid, Spain, the city where he died in 1506, stands a monument commemorating the great discoverer. On the monument is Spain’s old Latin motto, “Ne Plus Ultra,” but a large statue of a lion is destroying the word “ne’ or “no,” making it read “Plus Ultra.” Columbus had proved there was indeed “more beyond.”

I love this story because it reminds me of the tremendous opportunities that accompany new challenges. It is tempting to give in to perceived limits. Throughout my career, I have experienced it myself and I have seen it happen to others. But I have also witnessed others continue to push through difficult times and overcome what, at first, appeared to be insurmountable odds. The most significant periods of personal growth in my life have occurred during times when I made the decision to push beyond my own perceived limits and the limits others prescribed for me. It is enormously satisfying to experience the sweet rewards of success after making such efforts, especially when the successful outcome seemed impossible.

We all need to be reminded from time to time that there is always more than what we can see or even imagine. Sometimes the daily grind of living can make us numb to the oceans of possibilities that exist with every challenge, or especially to the deeper and richer aspects of life. I challenge you to embrace a “Plus Ultra” attitude in all you do.

Sic ‘em!

Walter Abercrombie
Executive Director, Baylor “B” Association

To return to the home page, click here.

One thought on “Embracing a “More Beyond” Attitude