Reigniting a Passion for Athletics

Board Member Guest Column by Jennifer Jordan Washington

Last year, I was inducted into the Baylor Sports Hall of Fame. It was an amazing honor and a privilege to be surrounded by family, friends, and the Baylor community.  The experience has been invigorating, exciting and it sparked a light in me that had grown dim.  Three years ago, I lost my father, who also ran Track and Field for Coach Clyde Hart in the 1970s.  Being inducted in the hall of fame made me feel close to my father and memories of my Baylor years became vivid all over again.  I felt God’s love in a way that I have not experienced before.  It reminded me of what Baylor represents — a Christian environment, family traditions, excellence, and community.  When I graduated in 2001, I got married to Ahmad Washington (Baylor Football 1994-1996) and began my career.  Then my husband and I started a family, so for the next few years, I focused on my family and work life.  Interacting with my Baylor family this past year, however, has reignited my passion for athletics.  It made me realize that athletics is and will always be a part of who I am.  Now that my children are older, we are engaging them in the Baylor community as well.  Exposing them to Baylor has been amazing and seeing the sparkle in their eyes at football, volleyball, basketball games and track meets means the world to us.  My children are a part of me, so athletics is a part of us.  I am excited to see and experience what lies ahead as I become reacquainted with the Baylor community and let my light shine.

Jennifer Jordan Washington
Track Letterwinner 1995-98
“B” Association Board Member

To return to the home page, click here.

One thought on “Reigniting a Passion for Athletics

1. Jennifer- your story resonates as a great journey that many of us share. It is so great to have the blessed priorities that a young career and a young family bring. It is also great to once again be part of the Baylor athletic community and it’s mission. –