Remember Who We Are

As I reflect over the past year, I’m reminded of an inspirational story I heard my father share from the pulpit. A popular speaker once started off a seminar by holding up a $100 bill. A crowd of 500 people had gathered to hear him speak. The speaker asked, “Who would like this $100 bill?”  Everyone in the audience raised their hands. The speaker crumpled up the bill in the palm of his hand. He then asked, “Who still wants this crumpled up bill?” All 500 people again raised their hands. “Well,” the speaker replied, “What if I do this?” Then he dropped the $100 bill on the ground and stomped on it with his shoes. He picked it up, and showed it to the crowd. The bill was all crumpled and dirty. “Now who still wants it?” Every hand in the room still went up. “My friends, I have just showed you a very important lesson. No matter what I did to the bill, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value. It was still worth $100.”

As humans, life may crumple us and grinds us into the dirt. We may make bad decisions or have to deal with poor circumstances. We may even feel hopeless and worthless. But like the bill in the story above, no matter what has happened or what will happen, we will never lose our value.

As we enter into the weekend, remember who we are… Baylor Bears!  

Sic ‘em!

Walter Abercrombie

Executive Director, Baylor “B” Association

To return to the main page, click here.

3 thoughts on “Remember Who We Are

1. Walter,
    Great story illustrating the worth of us all (even our football team).
    When one of your kids let you down you don’t abandon them….these bears on the gridiron will not be abandoned by this Baylor Bear.
    Gordon Smith, (class of 1960)

2. A beautiful story with a very meaningful message that we should all take to heart. I am always reminded at the oddest times of what Baylor University, our friends, and fellow Baylor Athletes have meant to my family and me through almost 50 years. Our family is “Baylor Proud” and we hope it shows.