with horrible creation comes great responsibility?

At this point in the story Victor has confronted the monster in attempt to put an end to the damage he created by bringing the Monster to life. It is clear that Victor has a sense of moral obligation because he indirectly caused the deaths of William and Justine. Victor has come to put this madness to an end, but the Monster intends to sway Victor in another direction. The Monster wants Victor to recognize its (his) humanity. He also wants Victor to feel a sense of responsibility for the life he created. The Monster says “Unfeeling, heartless creator! You had endowed me with perceptions and passions, and then cast me abroad an object for the scorn and horror of mankind” The Monster does not hold back in making Victor feel more guilt and responsibility for the deaths of Justine and William. (Side note: If the Monster wants to be viewed as human then why is he saying he wasn’t in control of or responsible for his actions…?)

It is clear that this tactic works on Victor as we see him struggle with how he must handle his situation. The monster has created so much destruction, but he is a living being. Victor says “…did I not, as his maker, owe him all the portion of happiness that it was in my power to bestow?” This part of the Monster’s story works excellently as we see Victor begin to realize that he created a living sentient being and he is responsible for it. It is his fault it was cast out and rejected and it is his responsibility to give it a happy life to the extent he can.

I do not believe this part of the story works as well on the reader because we did not create the Monster and do not have a sense of obligation to its actions. We can maybe sympathize with both the Monster and Victor but we cannot connect on the same level. In my opinion I connect with the part of the story when the Monster cites Paradise Lost and his connection to both Adam and Satan. He first relates himself to Adam but sympathizes with the Devil saying, “many times I considered Satan as the fitter emblem of my condition; for often, like him, when I viewed the bliss of my protectors, the bitter gall of envy rose within me.” It is not the fact that he builds a connection with Adam and Satan that strikes me, it’s the fact that the Monster read Paradise Lost. I can barely even understand Milton and a Monster made out of dead bodies in laboratory nails it.