Vanity Fair Textual Puzzle

At the beginning of Chapter 36, Thackeray discusses how people are able to live on “nothing a year” (340).  I found this concept very interesting, given the fact that money is such a big focus throughout the novel.  Rawdon and Rebecca do not have an income, yet they are able to live comfortably.  Since this is the first mention of such a lifestyle in the novel, it would be interesting to see how common such a style of living actually was during the Victorian era.  People who have inherited large amounts of money do not have to work, but neither Rebecca nor Rawdon inherited enough money to be able to live comfortably.  Considering the fact that they entertained so much, how many people would have been aware that they did not have any money?  There is always the possibility that people would not have respected them as much, or even wanted to be at their house for a party.  Money is such a large part of society in Vanity Fair, whenever an unusual event happens concerning the characters and money, it is brought to light because it does not exactly match up with the rest of what is going on in the novel.

14 thoughts on “Vanity Fair Textual Puzzle

1. It is included in my habit that I often visit blogs in my free time, so after landing on your blog. I have thoroughly impressed with it and decided to take out some precious time to visit it again and again. Thanks. gacha-life

2. Oui, je suis tout à fait d’accord avec cet article et je veux juste dire que cet article est très agréable et très instructif. Je m’assurerai de lire davantage votre blog. Vous avez fait un bon point, mais je ne peux m’empêcher de me demander, qu’en est-il de l’autre côté ? !!!!!!Merci. https://cliqafriq.com/read-blog/98101

3. Yes i totally agree with this article and I just want to say that this article is a very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to read your blog more. You made a good point but I can’t help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks.
    coloring247

4. Backlinks are links from a page on one website to another. This is important to us and you are giving us a chance and opportunity to help each other. We are hoping to have the same goal for the future of ours. ole777 mobile

5. My friend shared this website as he really liked the content and I also liked the content of this site as it is unique topic and while reading the comments I saw Filmora 11 code as it is the best video editing software comes at high discounted price and a week ago I was searching for this type of software as I want to start my YouTube channel.