Alumni Updates- Spring 2019

Candace Weddle Livingston (’99): After graduating Baylor (Classics) in the first BIC class, Candace earned an MA in Art History from Tulane University and a PhD from the University of Southern California, specializing in Greco-Roman art and archaeology. Since 2012, she has taught at the South Carolina School of the Arts at Anderson University, where she is Associate Professor of Art History. Her research focus is the sensory experience of ancient animal sacrifices. A popular speaker, Candace travels worldwide lecturing on art and archaeology, and appeared as an expert in the 2015 PBS documentary series Ancient Roads: From Christ to Constantine. In 2018, she was elected a Fellow in the Explorers Club, the world’s most prestigious organization dedicated to exploration, an honor she shares with such well-known individuals as Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay, filmmaker James Cameron, and all of the men who have walked on the Moon. Candace lives in Greenville, SC with her husband Todd Livingston, who writes comics and writes, directs, and produces for film and television.

Omoniyi Omotoso (’00), MD.MPH (BIC program, B.A. Biochemistry 2000). Since graduation, slowly my dream has become reality as I’m now a proud dad to my bright daughter Soley (7 3/4 as she’d say). After training at Washington University in St Louis Medical School, I moved out to Northern California for pediatrics residency. Since then we’ve made a home now in Alameda. For the past 7 years, I’ve worked at LifeLong Medical Care – a Federally Qualified Community Health Center network. Now I serve as the Associate Medical Director for a pediatric-only clinic and the Pediatrics Clinical Lead for the organization as a whole. Looking forward to the summer with lots of hiking planned.

Emily Nicholson Simcox (’03) is the Vice President of Development for the Newseum and Freedom Forum Institute in Washington, D.C. She and her husband of 11 years , Rob Simcox, live in Arlington, Virginia, and have two boys R.J. (4) and Max (2).  They love seeing Baylor friends who visit the national capital and can be reached at emysimcox@gmail.com

Ben Davis (’04) and his wife Gracy recently moved to Denver, Colorado. Ben is a Communications Specialist for Boeing. He and his wife also are expecting a child sometime in November. Ben has already experienced the gracious hospitality of fellow Denver residents and BIC’ers Renee Bouchardy Hardy (2004) and Lindsey Deal Bratcher (2004), who are teaching him how to survive life at a mile elevation. Contact at bendbear@gmail.com.

Holly Joyner (’07) recently celebrated her 10th wedding anniversary with Ryan Joyner, Baylor graduate (’07), a Baylor theatre professor. They have one son Jameson (4) and live in Waco, TX. Holly recently was promoted to Global Baylor Program Manager. In this position she co-leads the Global Baylor Initiative which is Baylor’s Quality Enhancement Plan to lead Baylor students and Baylor as a whole to a more globally engaged community through course work, a certificate program, study abroad, and leadership series. Holly looks forward to working with a new generation of Baylor students (such as BIC) on this initiative.

Rachel Muldez (’07): I very much enjoyed my time at Baylor as a Studio Art major. Since then, I have acquired two Master’s degrees in Ceramics and Sculpture and one Master of Fine Arts degree in Art. I currently teach Ceramics at Richland Community College and have a full time studio art practice that has taken me to many exciting places. As a professional artist I’ve shown in galleries and universities all over the US and in the Czech Republic, been a gallery director at one of the oldest artist run galleries in North America, been written about in numerous magazines, news papers, and even the occasional student essay. I’ve shown work in National Museums and spoken on public radio. The art I create is nature based. I use only natural materials and reference nature from the microscopic to the macroscopic. I’m 11years into my professional career and I’m excited for the years to come. For a look at my art work Google my name or find me on Instagram @muldezart.

Kevin Nguyen (’07): I graduated from Baylor with a Bachelor of Science in Biology in the College of Arts and Sciences. I spent a year teaching English in Bangkok, Thailand after I graduated from Baylor. I graduated with a Master of Science in College Counseling and Student Development from Azusa Pacific University in California in 2010. Since then, I have worked at the University of Houston for over 8 years. Currently, I am the First Year Experience Undergraduate Advisor for the College of Technology. I completed another Bachelor of Science degree in Health within the College of Education at the University of Houston and also completed a Corporate Entrepreneurship Certificate within the Bauer College of Business at the University of Houston. I received the 2019  “Inclusion and Advocacy Award” by the Center for Student Involvement at the University of Houston. I also serve as a member of Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner’s LGBTQ Advisory Board. I have also volunteered for a couple of non-profit organizations like Bunnies on the Bayou, Inc., Human Rights Campaign (Houston Chapter), and Pride Houston

Keisha Ray (’07): New job. From assistant professor at Texas State University to assistant professor at University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, McGovern Medical School, McGovern Center for Humanities and Ethics (UT medical school for short). I teach ethics and humanities to medical residents, medical students and students at other schools in the university (dental, nursing, etc.).

Erin Greneaux (’08 ): In the past year I have published two books. Learnable Moments for Moms: 100 Devotions to Discover God in the Everyday was released in November 2018. It helps moms discover the many ways that God reveals Himself in the everyday experiences of motherhood. Inconceivable Redemption: God’s Presence in Miscarriage and Infertility released in May 2019 and hit new release bestseller status on Amazon in its genre. The book takes women by the hand and walks them through the giref of losing a baby, the uncertainty of waiting, and the hope and redemption available that can be found in the midst of loss through Christ.

Suzanne Kraai (’09) has a deep-seeded love of Baylor, and the BIC experience! She graduated in 2009 and also holds an MS in Educational Administration. She has served at Eastern Christian School, outside of NYC, in a variety of roles including HS Honors and CP English teacher, HS Musical Theater and HS/MSChoral Director. The past 2 years she has served in an administrative role as Director of Extended Learning, which includes programs such as Before and After School Care and Clubs Pk-6th grade, Service Learning Pk-12th grade, Camps Pk-8th grade, Early College program development, and several short term international/cultural exchange programs. She and her husband are also co-owners of a small business in Warwick, NY, “Pine Island Brewery” and are opening another brewery this fall highlighting barrel-aging production, the local terroir, as well as a venue space with some retail operations. They are proud parents to a 3-year old son and a daughter on the way and give our Lord all the glory for any successes and challenges along the journey.

Zaire Paschal (’09) (formerly Adams) recently moved to Japan to teach English to Japanese students. He currently resides in Hiroshima City. He was teaching English in Texas public schools the previous five years. He is also working on completing three novels based on a world of his own design like a true BIC nerd. He hopes to finish in the next year or so. Beyond this, he posts memes on Facebook. Zaire was an 09 graduate.

Meaghan (McNeill) Bond (’10) and Greg Bond welcomed their son Daniel Gregory in October 2018. Meaghan is working as a research scientist and lecturer in the Rice 360 Institute for Global Health.

Raymond L. Panneton (BIC, ’10) has joined the law firm of Daniel & Associates, LLC in Houston, Texas.  Having spent almost three-years practicing in the area of complex business litigation, Ray has returned to his roots and is again practicing in the area of personal injury litigation, with a focus on pharmaceutical and medical device litigation.  He can be reached at ray@dpdlawfirm.com.

Lucas C. Rodriguez (’10), MS, PhD- CEO, CerSci Therapeutics. As an update I am including an article which was done on me and my company I started during graduate school. Click on link to learn more: https://dallasinnovates.com/meet-the-innovators-lucas-rodriguez-cersci-therapeutics/

Samantha (Rylander) Wallace (’10) is happy to announce both the safe arrival of her son, Lucas Michael, last September, and the official publication of her first novel, The Heart of Everything, last December!  The Heart of Everything is “a paranormal romance with a Christian twist” published by Covenant Books under her pen name, Lynn Wallace.  The book is available in both print and digital formats via Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Apple, among other retailers – visit www.lynnwallaceauthor.com to learn more!  She continues to work part-time as a nurse for the Victoria Eye Clinic in Victoria, TX while her husband serves as teacher/ librarian/ media center director for Edna ISD.  They also recently bought their first house and are excited to be moving in this summer!

Joben David (’11) After graduation in 2011, Joben spent a year working for the Walt Disney Company before returning to Baylor for Graduate School, graduating in 2015.  After a stint living and working in Washington, DC he embarked on a year long adventure traveling through the United Kingdom, Ireland and Australia. Joben returned to his home country of India in 2017 to serve as the Director of Operations at Justice & Hope, a non-profit that fights against sex-trafficking, child sexual abuse and domestic violence. He continues to credit the BIC for his unbreakable New York Times addiction, cultivated disdain for all other “honors” programs and friendships that defy the bounds of distance and time.

Katy (Johnson) Stevick (’11): Graduated from Baylor with a double major in International Studies and Russian. She lives in Fayetteville, North Carolina with her husband and fellow Baylor grad Michael Stevick (BA ’09 and MA ’11) where he serves in the US Army and she found her passion helping military families plan for financial security through her work as a Financial Advisor. His work did not take them to far off places together (as promised) so they make up for their stateside location in frequent overseas trips and welcomed their greatest adventure yet, baby Audrey Elise, in July 2018.  That same year Katy was named 2018 AFI Fort Bragg Military Spouse of the Year.

Cole Short (’13) After graduating from Baylor in December 2013 with a degree in International Studies, Cole moved to Boston for his Masters in Economics. Following his time in Boston, he completed a PhD in Business Administration (Strategy and Entrepreneurship) at the University of Georgia. Cole and his wife Kristin–who is currently working on her PhD in Financial Planning–are moving to Los Angeles this July where he will start a new job as an Assistant Professor of Strategy at Pepperdine University.

Chris Ha (’14): After graduation from Baylor in 2014, Chris started medical school at the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth, and is set to graduate in May of 2019. Most recently, he completed an additional one-year fellowship at Duke Divinity School as part of the Theology, Medicine and Culture Initiative.  Chris and his wife Melissa are ecstatic to have welcomed their first baby boy, Alden, into the world in December of 2018. They look forward to moving as a family up to Rochester, Minnesota this summer for Chris to pursue his residency training in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the Mayo Clinic.

Lance Hitt (’14): I graduated in 2014 (BIC: Political Science, Philosophy). After graduation I went home to Nashville and worked for the Tennessee General Assembly and then a law firm for a year. Thereafter, I went to Florida State University College of Law where I will graduate this May. I’ve worked in several areas of law over the past few years, and hope to transition into a compliance role with a broker-dealer in NYC after taking the bar exam in July.

Rachel (Slate) McKinley (’15): I will be graduating from Texas Tech University School of Medicine in May of this year and will be moving to the East coast to complete my Pediatrics residency at MUSC in Charleston, SC. I am excited to finally be a physician! Plus, I even matched to the same residency program with a fellow BIC graduate, Mary Hamilton! Another big accomplishment this year is that I got married! Though my new husband didn’t go to Baylor, he still came to Waco with me to watch a Baylor football game and proudly wears his Baylor shirt. We’ll be cheering on the bears from the beach in Charleston!

Anthony Farfan (BSW ‘16, MSW ‘17): After graduating with his masters in social work in 2017 from the Houston campus, Anthony stayed in the city and took some time to study for his state licensure exam. Afterwards, he worked in Houston ISD until an opening for a pediatric clinic in the Texas Medical Center presented itself. The UT Pediatric High Risk Clinic treats babies right out of the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) through 21 years of age who depend on tracheostomies, ventilators, have cystic fibrosis, are severely premature, and other chronic and life endangering complications. Anthony is currently a social worker in this clinic helping educate families on resources and coping skills, advocating for the patients rights, and addressing mental health issues like postpartum depression. His internship experience in Waco, his work in Houston, and his faith have taught him to serve with a full heart. He plans to begin supervision for his Licensed Clinical Social Worker accreditation in 2020 and pursue a doctorate in education down the road.

Courtenay Klauber (’16):  I am graduating this spring from NC State University with a M.Ed. in Higher Education Administration. As part of my program, I got to study abroad in China to learn more about Chinese higher education. Visiting Qufu, the hometown of Confucius, was a highlight of the trip, especially after reading the Analects in World Cultures years ago! After graduation, I will stay at NC State to work as an International Student and Scholar Advisor.

Priyankaa Bhatia (’17): I am at the NIH in my postbac lab position until July of this year, after which I will be heading back to Dallas to start graduate school at UT Southwestern! I’ll be doing the PhD program in Biomedical Sciences. I don’t know what I’ll be researching yet but I’m excited to start go back to school and spend a year rotating in labs to find a good fit for my thesis work.

Isabeau “Beau” Posey (‘17): joined the Baylor Teaching in Thailand Program directly after graduation. After spending a year in Waco, Beau is currently living in Sagamihara, Japan as a Professor of English Foreign Language at Sagami Women’s University through Westgate.

Audrey (Hamlin) Kelley (’18) graduated from Baylor with a BS in All-Level Special Education. After graduation she married the love of her life a fellow and current BICer, Connor Kelley (’20). She currently works in her dream job as a Functional Academics teacher working with an amazing group of students in 4th through 8th grade with moderate to severe disabilities at Robinson Intermediate School, just down the road from her alma mater. She teaches each academic subject, as well as functional skills such as cooking and communication, including American Sign Language and Braille.

Katie Méndez (’18): I am about to finish my first year of law school at American University Washington College of Law. This spring was busy but successful – I wrote on to the American University International Law Review and accepted a judicial intern position with the Eastern District Court of Virginia for this summer. I will also be working as a research assistant with a professor to help him edit his administrative law textbook and writing my comment for the International Law Review over the summer. Next fall, I will be starting my Masters in International Affairs in addition to my J.D. I’m looking forward to using the skills the BIC taught me as I continue working towards my J.D./M.A. in international law and affairs.

Rachel Davy (’18): I graduated in May of 2018 from Baylor LHSON. During a long initial job search, I moved back home to wintry Illinois and began volunteering in the high school ministry with . . . surprise! A fellow BICer! (Mand Elliott, class of 2015). I now work as a nurse on a medical-surgical/oncology floor at a local community hospital. When I’m not at work, I can be found volunteering at church in the high school ministry and the food pantry, pursuing my joy of swing dancing that began at Baylor, and playing open gym volleyball. Plus, most recently, a spontaneous weekend trip to visit former roommate and fellow-BICer Gracie Davis (class of 2018)!

Sofie Sonner (‘18) graduated from Baylor with a BS in Biology with a concentration in Ecology and a minor in French. She has been living on Kinmen Island, Taiwan, for the past year on a Fulbright fellowship to teach English. In the fall, she will attend Walla Walla University to research octopus physiology and pursue an MS in Biology for the next two years.

Calleigh Swift (‘18): I have just finished my first year of graduate school at the Diana R. Garland School of Social Work!

Soo Matthews (’18):  I am currently tutoring part-time while studying for the LSAT. I will be moving to Denver in July to get ready to do a teaching fellowship with Teach for America Colorado. I have already been hired by a school called University Prep. It’s an elementary school in the heart of Denver.

Austin P Allaire (’18) graduated a few short months ago with a BBA in Accounting and International Business. Since graduating in December, Austin has spent time working with KPMG’s International Tax practice in Dallas, Texas, and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Keeping with the passion for international work he developed as a student in the Baylor Interdisciplinary Core, Austin will undertake an MSc in International Business as City, University of London’s Cass Business School this fall. London BICers, feel free to reach out at Austin_Allaire@alumni.baylor.edu

Zane Zovak (’18) Since graduating in December, Zane has been a fellow at the John Jay Institute outside of Philadelphia where he has explored political philosophy and Christian traditions in this semester-long residency program. He encourages anyone interested in public service who has a strong faith background to consider this fully-funded program as it has been extremely influential in his vocational development. In the summer, he will be interning with California Policy Center where he hopes to gain experience from grassroots-level policy work. He hopes to return to DC on the other side of summer to focus on foreign policy approaches to China and hopes to build upon his appreciation for different cultures that was cultivated during his time in the BIC. Zane truly believes “the unexamined life isn’t worth living” and hopes to pay homage to Socrates in his continued studies.

This entry was posted in Alumni, Alumni Updates. Bookmark the permalink.