Alumni Interview — Dr. Katie Root (’05)

With each year that passes there are more and more BIC graduates doing great work all over the world. Each spring we  publish brief “Alumni Updates” where our alumni can tell us some about their post-BIC lives. In addition to these annual updates, we post interviews with our alumni. Today we are excited to post an interview with Dr. Katie Root (’05). We hope you enjoy, and if you are interested in being interviewed for a future blog post, email us at BIC@baylor.edu.

katie-rootWhat year did you graduate from Baylor? What did you study?

I graduated in 2005 with a BS in Forensic Science.

What are you doing currently for work/career? What do you enjoy most about your work?

I am now an internal medicine physician and practice in an outpatient primary care clinic. I also am developing a new Medical Weight Management clinic with East Texas Medical Center, where I work, which should launch later this year. I enjoy having the opportunity to live my life-long dream of becoming a physician. I get to meet so many different people and am blessed to help them achieve their health and lifestyle goals.

How has your BIC education influenced your life/career since leaving Baylor?

One important thing that I learned in BIC was to always ask questions. I never settle for believing something without doing my own research into it. I have utilized this throughout my medical training.

Do you have a favorite memory from your time in BIC?

I really enjoyed the opportunity to go to several places of worship for different religions. It helped me to better understand these religions and experience first-hand what they are like. As a strong Christian, it was interesting to see and experience others’ beliefs, and better understand them when sharing my faith.

What are your goals for the future?

I am excited about the opening of our new Medical Weight Management clinic. I look forward to seeing this grow and help so many of the people in my community. My husband and I also plan to start a family and become further involved in our church and community.

This entry was posted in Alumni, Alumni Interviews. Bookmark the permalink.