Alumni Interview — Holly Joyner (’07)

With each year that passes there are more and more BIC graduates doing great work all over the world. At least once each year we hope to publish brief “Alumni Updates” where our alumni can tell us some about their post-BIC lives. In addition to these annual updates, we are posting interviews with some of our alumni. Today we are excited to post an interview with Holly Joyner (’07). We hope you enjoy, and if you are interested in being interviewed for a future blog post, email us at BIC@baylor.edu.

holly joynerWhat year did you graduate from Baylor? What did you study?

I graduated in 2007 and double majored in Asian Studies and International Studies. I emphasized in Japanese and was fortunate to study abroad in Tokyo my senior year.

What are you doing currently for work/career? What do you enjoy most about your work?

I currently work at Baylor! I loved my experience in the BIC and all the amazing professors I learned from. Now I get the opportunity to work with them constantly. I am currently a Program Director for the living and learning center Baylor & Beyond. This program is for Baylor students interested in learning about the world’s cultures and communities. Students are immersed in Baylor culture and traditions, while also thinking broadly about their other communities across campus, the city, the state, and in the world! It’s a great adventure. I love getting to connect domestic students to international students, assisting students in studying abroad, as well as planning programs about current events that matter to our students. Most recently I was able to plan a program allowing students to learn more about ISIS and how that organization affects the world’s policy. We had two of my former BIC professors on that panel–Dr. Mark Long and Dr. Lynn Tatum. It was a great experience!

How has your BIC education influenced your life/career since graduating from Baylor?

The emphasis on learning is what I loved most about the BIC. I try to read and ask as many questions as possible in order to continue to expand my own knowledge. I am also a lover of the New York Times since leaving the BIC. Now as a higher education professional I try to be as diligent as possible in keeping updated on current events in order to assist my students in being self-aware as well. BIC is also the reason I loved college so much, which is why I have made working at a college my profession!

What are your goals for the future?

I hope to obtain a PhD in higher education and continue to work with college students, specifically working with study abroad and international students.

Do you have a favorite memory from your time in BIC?

Yes, definitely. Late night study sessions cramming for social world in Memorial my sophomore year. Also, going to the ropes course with my examined life group in freshman year. I met some of the closest people in my life that day.

Do you have any advice for current BIC students?

Take as many BIC classes as you can. Really get to know your professors. They are amazing people who you can continue a relationship with after college. Study a foreign language. It will expand your mind and give you numerous more job opportunities.

This entry was posted in Alumni, Alumni Interviews. Bookmark the permalink.