Dr. Long in Saudi Arabia

mark long

A few words from Dr. Mark Long who just returned from a trip to Saudi Arabia. Dr. Long writes:

“This photo is from New Year’s Day on the Persian Gulf. I had traveled to Saudi Arabia with a group of students and faculty from different universities across the States. This picture was taken outside Jubail, where most of the Kingdom’s oil resources are located. During the two week trip we met with representatives of government, industry, the media, and other universities.”

Update 1/30/2015: Dr. Long has written an extended reflection on his recent travels in Saudi Arabia published at the Waco Tribune-Herald. It’s well worth the read–link. Here is a brief excerpt from the article:

“The sun slowly emerged from the mauve haze over the water. Black shore birds dined along the coast, as seagulls performed their acrobatics above them. Several couples walked along the corniche in al-Khobar in the cool air, their amble just the right pace for quiet conversation and the chance to watch the spreading light over the ripples. Some, just as I was doing, ran along the curving walk by water’s edge.

“Others had gathered to do calisthenics. But most of us paused for the moment when the sun emerged and began to turn a deep red. And then the young couple. He watched as she adjusted her hijab, face uncovered. Turning away from the magnificent sunrise, she held her phone at arm’s length to take a selfie. I saw that in the cool morning, half a world away from Waco, as I ran along the Persian Gulf (or “Arabian Gulf,” as my Saudi hosts would remind me) on the first day of 2015.” (read the full article)

This entry was posted in Faculty, World Cultures. Bookmark the permalink.