January 17

Annotation and Introduction to DNA Master (1/16/19)

Rationale:

Presented scientific article to the class and set up DNA Master on laptop to use for future genome analysis.

Procedure:

1. Installed and updated DNAMaster on laptop.
  2. Downloaded FASTA files for Elesar off phagesdb.org.
  3. Performed and analyzed auto-annotation of Elesar.

Observations:

Elesar has 66 genes of which 11 have reverse ORFs and 55 had forward ORFs.

Compared to all of Elesar’s other genes, gene 19 had the longest length which was 4824 nucleotides.

Results:

DNA Master was successful downloaded onto laptop. Also, was able to successfully access ORF Analysis of Elesar as shown below.

Conclusion and Next Steps:

Although my laptop screen looks like gibberish to me now, I look forward to learning and using DNA Master to annotate and perform analyses on NapoleanB. Also, I look forward to improving my presentation skills. I hope to become more familiar with DNA Master by annotating and BLAST Elesar.

Posted January 17, 2019 by Kathryn Adkins in category Kathryn Adkins

About the Author

Kathryn Adkins is currently a freshman attending Baylor University majoring in neuroscience with a minor in biochemistry.  She hopes to one day earn an M.D./Ph.D. and become a pediatric oncologist and cancer researcher. Kathryn volunteers at Cook Children’s Hospital in Fort Worth and is actively involved in AMSA (American Medical Student Association) and BURST (Baylor University Research in Science and Technology).