Can’t wait to start analyzing the sequence for amigo’s genome tomorrow! It will be a challenge but I am looking forward to it!
After verifying I had a surprisingly accurate calculation for my webbed plate I moved on to flooding and filtering. Unfortunately filters did not quite agree with the gooey arthrobacter(centrifuging it didn’t help either), which just meant I got to spend more time in the lab. Two other students and myself moved on to preparing our samples for DNA extraction. Although I spent an extra large amount of time in the lab, it all payed off on Wednesday when all three of us were able to extract the DNA from our phages and verify its presence and purity. 🙂
Last week I did my fourth round of purification to verify that I only had one phage present in my sample. There weren’t many plaques to compare but we came to the conclusion that there was in fact a single phage, which gave me the all clear to continue on to the next step (flooding my plate). Last class I flooded my most webbed plate so today I will get to filter and do more dilutions! Hopefully there are still filters left…
I found this article on the New York times website. It describes an exon skipping technique as a possible treatment for Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Unfortunately the drug has not been confirmed as a viable treatment but it looks promising.
There is also a fun video included at the bottom of the page if you are interested =)