Dec 05 2013

Bittersweet

Published by at 2:57 am under Uncategorized

Today I finished my restriction digest. It was kind of stressful in the since that sometimes when pipetting .69 micro litters, its hard to tell if anything is actually being pipetted! (And not to mention the entertaining frenzy of everyone on that same step fighting for each of the enzymes and their perspective buffers!) But now that thats all done, i’m moving onto the final steps including the electrophoresis. This part of the lab has been so cool because i’ve gotten to work first hand with some unbelievable equipment for any undergraduate, especially for a freshman! (Heck, I even got to troubleshoot the photo spectrometer!) So I really am sad to see this experience go, but next semester is where we get to actually dive into our results and that too is exciting.

I remember when I first applied to this program. I was expecting to see some pretty cool stuff under a microscope and actually get some biology lab experience. But it really has turned out to be so much more. It still blows my mind with all the stuff that we’ve been able to do this semester! I want to believe Dr. Gibbon when he says that next semester is super cool, but I feel like comparing it to this semester is going to be pretty tough!

Oh, and I found a really really interesting study for my last blog post! So be on the lookout.

3 responses so far

3 Responses to “Bittersweet”

1. yasmenewarradon 05 Dec 2013 at 5:10 pm

RIGHT. The whole time I was pipetting I felt like there was nothing in the tube and I got worried! But everything worked out, so I’m sure yours will too!

2. bryan_gibbonon 05 Dec 2013 at 6:29 pm

Trust me Walker, trust me!

3. jadeconnoron 06 Dec 2013 at 7:47 pm

I was thinking the same thing as I was pipetting! I kept second guessing myself, thinking that I hadn’t put the correct amount in the microcentrifuge tube. Everything worked out pretty well though. I guess you just have to have a little faith in your own pipetting skills!

Trackback URI | Comments RSS