Oct 20 2013

Disappointment, then excitement!

Published by at 9:32 pm under Uncategorized

I felt quite stupid during Wednesday’s lab…but that is normal in a first year bio lab I am told! Well, I pulled out my 5 plates, which I had plated by possible plaque on. I knew that my -1 and -2 samples should have the highest concentration of phage on them. But when I looked at the plates, there was nothing! It was essentially just my lawn of M-Smeg. But then I pulled out my -3 and -4 plates, and noticed there were spots of clearing on them. I figured it was contamination and started preparing to get soil. However, I quickly wanted to check with Dr. Gibbon to make sure I was doing everything correctly. He quickly looked at my samples and said, “Wow, you have a lot of phage!” Thinking I knew better than him, I quickly proceeded to explain that my -1 and -2 samples should have a higher concentration, but they have nothing on them. Therefore, it didn’t work. He just laughed and quickly explained that I had so much phage on my -1 and -2 plates, that all of the clearings ran together and covered the entire plate! That is how my lab on Wednesday quickly turned from disappointment to excitement!

Comments Off on Disappointment, then excitement!

Comments are closed at this time.