Baylor Arts & Sciences magazine: Meet John Hill

By Julie Carlson

When Baylor University students win prestigious national and international scholarships, they gain much more than a stellar entry on their résumés. As the story of 2003 Truman Scholarship winner John Hill illustrates, being chosen for one of these coveted awards can have a major impact on a student’s life and career.

At Baylor, Hill double-majored in Russian and political science and graduated summa cum laude in 2004. The Arlington native used his Truman Scholarship to finance his legal studies.

“The Truman helped me greatly in getting into Harvard Law School. In fact, the dean of admissions at Harvard Law said being a Truman Scholar absolutely gives you a leg up,” Hill said. “For better or worse, where you go to law school matters and has an impact on what opportunities you have afterward. Competitive law schools such as Harvard value the Truman Scholarship because they view it as a way to evaluate applicants and see who is public-minded and has achieved success as an undergraduate.”

The Truman Scholarship is a highly competitive, merit-based award offered to U.S. citizens who are college juniors and desire to go to graduate school in preparation for careers in government, the nonprofit sector or elsewhere in public service. Truman Scholars receive cash awards for their senior year of college and for graduate study, participate in leadership development programs and have special opportunities for internships and federal employment.

A Distinguished Career

After receiving his law degree and clerking for a federal district judge, Hill spent time as a trial attorney in Dallas and Houston. In March 2011 he joined the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia –– serving first in the domestic violence and sex offense unit, then in the national security unit.

He’s now a federal prosecutor with the U.S. Attorney’s office, but since April 2017 he’s been on temporary assignment as a senior counsel to Rod Rosenstein, the Deputy Attorney General for the Department of Justice. In this capacity, Hill advises the Deputy AG on national security issues, policy matters that affect U.S. Attorneys’ offices, and various international and criminal law concerns.

“What I am doing now is a unique opportunity,” Hill said. “It’s a chance to see how the government works at a higher level. The Department of Justice has 115,000 people who work for it and at the end of the day they all report to the Deputy Attorney General in some form or fashion. So, I get to see all the parts and different components, such as law enforcement like the FBI and DEA, or various prosecuting divisions and administrators and how they interact. I’m able to see how we work with the White House, Congress and the Defense Department –– all these other agencies.”

Hill has returned to Baylor a few times since graduation, speaking to Baylor Law School and prelaw students about life as a federal prosecutor. He also has taken part in small focus groups in the College of Arts & Sciences to discuss how Baylor can better prepare its students for success.

“I have studied at two institutions of higher learning, Harvard and Baylor, and they are very different,” Hill said. “Baylor can offer a much more personalized education and a nurturing environment, and I think that is critical. I had opportunities to take on leadership roles and to be supported in them by the administration and faculty. I also worked with faculty members who let me talk through my aspirations and what role my faith played in those decisions.”

Valuable Preparation

Looking back on his experiences as a Truman Scholar, Hill said that just completing the difficult application process helped him refine his career path.

“The process of applying for the Truman Scholarship helped me better identify the intersection of my talents and interests with the needs around me,” he said. “I wish every student had to complete a Truman application because it makes you ask the hard questions about your life and ambitions, and what you want to do going forward.”

And Hill said taking part in events with other scholarship winners from around the country was also valuable.

“Through interacting with my fellow Truman Scholars, I was introduced to a new realm of possibilities for public service,” he said. “It’s inspiring to be around a community of talented young people who are already making a substantial contribution in their spheres of influence.”

———————–

Photo by Greg Kahn