Arts & Sciences student is inaugural recipient of new Baylor Staff Council scholarship

Mira Benthul, a freshman English major from Lorena, Texas, is the inaugural recipient of the Baylor University Staff Endowed Scholarship. She was awarded the scholarship for the 2012-2013 academic year.

The Baylor Staff Council announced in August 2012 that its endowed scholarship fund, built primarily with donations from Baylor staff, had reached its funding goal and would begin distributing funds to students. Initiated by Staff Council, fundraising efforts for the scholarship began in 2008 as a public show of support for students. The group reached their goal in only four years –– one year earlier than their original timeline.

“We commend the leaders of Staff Council for their vision and give thanks for all who have stepped forward to support Baylor students through this endowed scholarship honoring the great work of our talented staff members,” Baylor President Ken Starr said. “As we continue to broaden support for our students, we are grateful to those who choose to come alongside us in The President’s Scholarship Initiative. This scholarship will be a blessing for students for generations to come.”

The scholarship’s first recipient has an impressive academic and service record. Benthul was valedictorian of her graduating class at Lorena High School. Since coming to Baylor in fall 2012, she has joined the Baylor Special Olympics Volunteer Group and is a member of the Collins Residence Hall leadership. She has applied to be on the Santa’s Workshop Steering Committee and hopes to be a Baylor Community Leader during her sophomore year.

In a letter of appreciation to Staff Council, Benthul wrote, “I would like to thank you for your generous gift to me…This kindness is what makes an education possible and exciting for students, especially for me. Coming to Baylor, my family and I hoped for an opportunity such as this because I endeavor to pay for college myself. My parents have given me so much, and the best way I can think to thank them and show that I have teamed everything they taught me is to take away this financial burden. Doing so, I believe, displays my good judgment and willingness to accept responsibility of what is mine, molding me into the best person I can.”

Benthul added, “Because of the committee’s generosity, I am able to grow in every way at Baylor. I feel as though I am flourishing here academically and individually. I hope, in the future, I have the chance to impact a person or persons the way you have done for me.”