Earlier this week, I began preparing for our upcoming Fall Preview. Though this is something I do every semester, I cannot help but reflect on my own experiences at Preview each time. I remember all of the decisions I faced at that point in my life when I was trying to decide where to go next in my ministry. I was trying to discern if God really had called me to full-time ministry and if so, if seminary was the right choice. I had just left a job I loved in a country I loved (England) to come back to the States, so I was already invested here, but where was God leading me? As I drove into Waco that Thursday afternoon and saw the Baylor campus, I felt at peace. The feeling was so contrary to how I had felt for so long that I could not help but notice. Very unexpectedly I saw a beauty in Waco that began to draw me in.

Truett alums, Ashley and Ben Mangrum

I remember the first person I met that afternoon—Ashley Mangrum. She was a Truett student helping to welcome visitors to Preview. She made me feel instantly at home here in Waco, and over the course of the next day and half, I had so many of my concerns answered. Truett really was affordable, even to a single student working part-time. I was excited to see the variety of courses I would take as a Missions concentration student, and the opportunity to meet some of the professors and current students helped me to know that there would be a supportive community here. By the time I arrived at Rudy’s on Friday night, I knew that God’s hand was in this and that He was taking care of me. I could see his provision in all of these things.

I know that those preparing to attend Preview next week will have many of the same questions I had. I remember the apprehension and the excitement. My hope is that they, too, will experience God’s leadership and direction in the same way I did three years ago. My joy is getting to share in that journey just as Ashley was so instrumental in mine.

About the author:
Tiffany Forsyth is a third year, M.Div/M.S.W. student here at Truett.  She aspires to serve somewhere internationally after graduation.  Tiffany currently serves as an Associate in the Office of Student Services here at Truett.

Be Sociable, Share!

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind

• Recent Photos

Sacred Voices - Shawn Shannon

Sacred Voices - Dr Pepper Hour in the Courtyard

Sacred Voices - Breakout Session - Texas Baptists and Women in Ministry

Sacred Voices - Breakout Session - Small Transforming Steps

Sacred Voices - Chapel

Sacred Voices - Breakout Session - The Bible & Women in Ministry

Sacred Voices - Rev. Julie Pennington-Russell

More Photos