Academy Lecture #1

Academy Lecture 1: Alana Hill

The lecture given by Alana Hill that discussed the idea of diversity in leadership was thought-provoking and powerful. Many ideas she introduced showed the powerful, positive impact diversity can have in the workplace. While describing diversity as a “rainbow”, Alana noted all the colors were equal and not one was more valuable than the other. Often, I forget that leadership is not just the actions you make to lead a group, but also the people you choose to be in the group. The more diverse the group is, the more ideas and opinions there are. Having different opinions and perspectives is essential to the success of the group. The lecture taught me to look to really consider the importance of diversity in the workplace.

In terms of the relationship between personal values, integrity, and ethical leadership, I learned that they are all closely connected and dependent on one another. Taking the initiative to include a new diverse range of people is a result of an ethical leader. Always wanting to improve the group, they include everyone to achieve the best possible solution. It also taught me the importance of being honest in a workplace. Even if there is conflicting opinions, they should still be said to eradicate any possible complications.

I intend to apply Hill’s teachings to my everyday life, including my leadership skills. When forming teams I will pay specific attention that there is a wide range of people from different backgrounds. It will also help me to see the good different personality types in a work setting. Each voice as a distinct purpose that is can be constructive and beneficial for the group. Creating diversity in the workplace is essential for a happy, productive workplace.