Stephen J. Trumble Ph.D.
Address: Stephen J. Trumble Ph.D.
Department of Biology
One Bear Place #9738
Waco, TX 76798-7388
Web Page: http://blogs.baylor.edu/stephen_trumble/
University of Alaska Fairbanks Ph.D. Marine Biology
Moss Landing Marine Labs M.S. Marine Science
Texas State University (SWTSU) B.S. Biology
08/18/2008 – Baylor University; Asst. Professor
2008- Baylor University
Comparative Vertebrate Physiology (BIO 4431)
Integrative Ecophysiology (BIO 5380)
Modern Concepts in Biology (BIO 1306)
2006-2008 University of Michigan
Mammalian Physiology (Biology 432/532)
Special Topics class (Biology 483/583); Life at the edge, Physiological ecology of animals in extreme environments.
1993-1995 California State University Fresno
Lab Instructor, Biology – Introductory Biology for Biology Majors. Lab Instructor, Botany – Introductory Botany for Non-Majors. Interim Lecture instructor, Biology – Introductory Biology for Non-Majors
1987-1988 Southwest Texas State University (Texas State University)
Lab instructor, Biochemistry 1430
1993 -1995 Hartnell College (Salinas, CA)
Asst. Track and Field Coach (mulitevent/jumps coach)
- Dr. Sascha Usenko, Baylor University
- Dr. Nadine Lysiak, WHOI
- Dr. Dan Crocker, Sonoma State
- Dr. Joy Lapseritis ONR/WHOI
- Dr. Shane Kanatous, Colorado State University
- Dr. Thomas Hawke, McMaster University, Toronto
- Dr. Shawn Noren, UCSC, Santa Cruz, CA
- Dr. Mike Riddell, York University, Toronto
- Dr. Dion Oxman, ADF&G, Juneau, AK
1. Trumble, S.J. and S. Usenko. 2012. Anthropogenic and Physiological Data Reconstructed from Whale Ear Plugs. Oral Presentation, American Society of Mammalogists. Reno NV.
2. Pearson LE, Trumble SJ, Costa DP, Burns JM. Seasonal differences in fatty acid composition of blubber and muscle of Weddell seals. SCAR Open Science Conference, Portland OR. July 16-19 2012.
3. Locklin, J. L. and S. J. Trumble. 2011. A Preliminary Assessment of lipid content and body mass of the monarch butterfly (Danaus plexippus) (Lepidoptera: Danaidae) during the fall migration in Texas. Ecological Society of America. Austin Tx. August 2011.
4. Sanders, R.L. Oxman, D.S. and S.J. Trumble. 2011. Stress response associate with hatchery conditions in developing chum salmon. Poster; American Fisheries Society. Seattle. 2011.
5. Young, K.E. and S.J. Trumble. 2011. Sphingolipids in marine mammal skeletal muscle. 19th Biennial Conference for the Biology of Marine Mammals. Tampa, FL. Nov 2011.
6. Robinson, E., Trumble, S. and S. Usenko. 2011. Whale earwax plugs as a matrix for reconstructing contaminant profiles in a marine ecosystem. SEATAC, North America. Seattle WA, November 2011.
7. Moore, C.D., Fahlman, A., Moore, M., Niemeyer, M., Lentell, B., Oakes, S. and S.J. Trumble. 2011. Histological investigation of the “slip” in marine mammal tracheas. 19th Biennial Conference for the Biology of Marine Mammals. Nov. 2011.
8. Young, K.E., Quinn, S.M., Waite, J.N., Usenko, S., Andrews, R.D., Trumble, S.J. (2010) Using GC-FID in Conjunction with GC-MS to Identify Fatty Acid Methyl Esters in Sympatric Marine Mammal Species. SICB 2010 Meeting, Seattle, WA, 2010.
9. Robinson, E., Trumble, S.J., Kanatous, S.K. and S. Usenko. 2010. Semi-volatile organic compounds in Weddell Seals Blubber and Muscle Tissue from McMurdo Sound, Antarctica. SETAC 2010, Europe 20th Annual in Seville, Spain from 23-27 May 2010.
10. Trumble, S.J, Hawke, T.J, Pearson, L.E, Noren S.R and S.B. Kanatous. 2009. Ontogenetic Changes in Lipid Utilization in Weddell Seal Skeletal Muscle: Roles in Thermogenesis, Energy Reserves, and Prolonged Diving. 18th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals 12-16 October, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada.
11. Trumble, S.J, Hawke, TJ, Pearson, LE, and SB Kanatous. 2008. Skeletal muscle lipids in Weddell seals (Leptonychotes weddellii): Differences in age class and possible response to resource limitations. FASEB J. 22:1239.
12. Kanatous, SB, Hawke, TJ, Trumble, S.J, Pearson, LE and RW Davis. 2008. The ontogeny of skeletal muscle adaptations that enable long deep dives in Weddell seals. FASEB J. 2008 22:1223.3
13. Cornick, L, Castellini, MA, Rea, L, and S. Trumble. 2007. Where’s the fat? Plasma lipemia as evidence of feeding in Weddell seals. Accepted. 16th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals. South Africa, December 2007.
14. Noren, S., Pearson, L., Davis, J., Trumble, S. and S. Kanatous. 2007. Development of thermoregulation in polar mammals. FASEB J. 2007 21:619.4
15. Trumble, S.J. and M.A. Castellini. 2005. The benefits of diet mixing in an aquatic carnivore, the harbour seal. IUPS/FASEB, San Diego CA, April 2005.
16. Trumble, S.J., Barboza, P.S. and M.A. Castellini. 2002. Digestive constraints on an aquatic carnivore: Tradeoffs between fish quantity and quality for harbor seals. American Physiological Society, San Diego CA. 2002.
17. Trumble, S.J., and M.A. Castellini. 2002. Digestive efficiency of pollock and herring in harbor seals: addressing the “Is it Food?” hypothesis. FASEB. New Orleans, LA. 2002.
18. Trumble, S.J., and M.A. Castellini. 2001. Using Plasma Chemistry Profiles to Assess the Health of Harbor Seal Populations in Alaska: A Novel Technique used in Determining Outliers in Population Studies. Presented at the 14th Biennial Conference for the Biology of Marine Mammals. Vancouver BC. 2001.
19. Castellini, J.M., S.D Inglis, S.J. Trumble, and M.A.Castellini. 2001. Condition and health indices in rehabilitated harbor seal pups at the Alaska SeaLife Center. 14th Bi-annual Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals, Vancouver, BC.
20. Castellini, M.A., Rea, L.D., Cornick, L., Trumble, S., Mau, T., Inglis, S., Harper, S., and J.M. Castellini. The natural foraging biochemistry of Weddell seals. 2004. Proceedings of the Third International Conference of Comparative Physiology & Biochemistry in Africa. Animals and Environment. Ntshondwe, ITHALA Game Reserve, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
21. Castellini, M.A., Rea, L.D., Cornick, L., Trumble, S., Mau, T., Inglis, S., Harper, S., and J.M. Castellini. Lipid chemistry of natural foraging in Weddell seals. 2003. Proceedings of the 15th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals. Greensboro, NC.
22. Castellini, M.A., J.M. Castellini, D. Calkins, V. Burkanov, S. Trumble, and T. Mau. 2002. Diet alone does not predict body condition in marine mammals. Experimental Biology, New Orleans.
23. Castellini, M.A., D. Calkins, V. Burkanov, J. Castellini, S. Trumble, and T. Mau. 2001. Long-term feeding trials with harbor seals and Steller sea lions: impact of different diets on health and nutrition. 14th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals, Vancouver, BC.
24. Trumble, S.J., and M.A. Castellini and R.J. Small. 2000. Comparing blood chemistry and hematology values and assessing health in harbor seal pups on Tugidak Island and within Prince William Sound 1997-1999. Presented at the 13th Biennial Conference for the Biology of Marine Mammals. Maui, Hawaii.
25. Castellini, M.A., Castellini, J.M., Trumble, S.J. and T Mau. 1999. How do dietary lipids impact the body condition and health of seals. FASEB Conference, San Diego CA. 2000.
26. Trumble, S.J., and M.A. Castellini. 1997. Plasma Chemistry and Hematology Values for Harbor Seal Pups from Alaskan Waters. Presented at AAAS. Valdez, AK.
1. Trumble, S.J. and S. Usenko. 2012. A Whales Tale: Reconstructing stress and contaminant profiles in a blue whale. Woods Hole Seminar Series, November 15th, Woods Hole, MA. November 2012.
2. Trumble, S.J. and S. Usenko. 2012. Anthropogenic and Physiological Data Reconstructed from Whale Ear Plugs. Oral Presentation, American Society of Mammalogists. Reno NV.
3. Trumble, S.J. and S. Usenko. 2011. Anthropogenic and Physiological Data Reconstructed from Whale Ear Plugs. Oral Presentation. 13th Biennial Meeting for the Society of Marine Mammals. Tampa, FL. November, 2011.
4. Trumble, S.J. 2009. Furman University Student Speaker Award (Yearly student’s choice award for physiology/ecology speaker). Ontological differences in skeletal muscles of Weddell seals.
5. Trumble, S.J, Hawke, TJ, Pearson, LE, Noren SR and SB Kanatous. 2009. Skeletal muscle lipids in Weddell seals (Leptonychotes weddellii): Differences in age class and possible response to resource limitations. SICB, Boston MA. P. 172.
6. Trumble, S.J. et al. 2006. The Born Identity: Genotypic Variation Reflected in Blood Chemistry. The Wildlife Society’s 13th Annual Conference in Anchorage, Alaska, September 23-27.
7. Trumble, S.J., Barboza P.S. and M.A. Castellini. 2003. The skinny on fat intake: can seals survive on “junk-food”? The 15th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals. December 13-19 2003, Greensboro NC.
8. Castellini, M., Rea, L., Cornick, L., Trumble, S. et al. 2003. Lipid chemistry of natural foraging in Weddell seals. 15th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals. December 13-19 2003, Greensboro NC.
9. Trumble, S.J. Assessing the health of harbor seals in Alaskan waters. Rasmuson Fisheries Board. Anchorage, AK. March 21, 2003.
10. Trumble S.J. The health of harbor seals in Alaska: Can blood values and digestive physiology answer the “junk food” hypothesis? AAAS Conference, Valdez AK. 1998.
- Moore, C., Moore, M., Trumble, S., Niemeyer, M., Lentell, B., McLellen, W., Costidis, A. and A. Fahlman. (accepted; revisions). A Comparative Analysis of Marine Mammal Tracheas. Journal of Experimental Biology. MS ID#: JEXBIO/2012/0830
- Trumble S.J., Berman-Kowalewski, M., Potter, C. and S. Usenko. 2012. Whale earplugs reveal lifetime contaminant exposure and hormone profiles PNAS (in review).
- Robinson, E. M., Trumble, S.J., Subedi, B., Sanders, R. and S. Usenko. A method for the extraction of persistent organic pollutants, mercury, and hormones in a waxy earplug from baleen whales. J. Chrom A (in review).
- Trumble S.J. and S.B. Kanatous. 2012. Fatty Acid use in Diving Mammals: More than Merely Fuel. Frontiers in Aquatic Physiology 194 (3):1-8
- Usenko, C.Y., Trumble, S.J., Hopkins, D.C. and E.D. Bruce. 2012. Hydroxylated PBDEs induce developmental arrest in zebrafish. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 262(1):43-51.
- D’souza, A.M, JL. Beaudry, A.A. Szigiato, S.J. Trumble and M.C. Riddell. 2012. Consumption of a High Fat Diet Rapidly Exacerbates the Development of NAFLD that Occurs with Chronically Elevated Glucocorticoids. AJP- Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology 302(8):850-863.
- Waite, J.N., Trumble, S.J., Burkanov, V.N. and R.D. Andrews. 2012. Resource partitioning of sympatric Steller sea lions and northern fur seals as revealed by biochemical dietary analyses and satellite telemetry. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 416-417: 41-54.
- Trumble, S.J., O’Neil, D., Cornick, L.A., Gulland, F., Castellini, M.A. and S. Atkinson. 2012. Endocrine changes in harbor seal (Phoca vitulina) pups undergoing rehabilitation. Zoo Biology. Article first published online : 25 JUL 2012, DOI: 10.1002/zoo.21036
- Trumble, S.J., Robinson, E., Noren, S., Usenko, S., Davis, J. and S.B. Kanatous. 2012. Assessment of legacy and emerging organic pollutants in Weddell seals (Leptonychotes weddellii) Near McMurdo Sound, Antarctica. Science of the Total Environment 439:275-283.
- Trumble, S.J, Noren, S.R., Cornick, L.A., Hawke, T.J. and S.B. Kanatous. 2010. Age-Related Differences in Skeletal Muscle Lipid Profiles of Weddell Seals: Clues to Developmental Changes. Journal of Experimental Biology 213:1676-1684.
- Kanatous, S.B., Hawke, T.J., Trumble, S.J., Pearson, L.E., Watson, R.R., Garry, D.J., Williams, T.M. and R.W. Davis. 2008. The ontogeny of aerobic and diving capacity in the skeletal muscles of Weddell seals. Journal of Experimental Biology 211:2559-2565.
- Castellini, M.A., Trumble, S.J., Mau, T., Yochem, P. and B. Stewart. 2009. Body and blubber measurements of Antarctic pack-ice seals: implications for the control of body condition and blubber regulation. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 82(2):113-120.
- Noren, S.R., Pearson, L.E., Davis, J.W., Trumble, S.J. and S.B. Kanatous. 2008. Different Thermoregulatory Strategies in Nearly Weaned Pup, Yearling, and Adult Weddell Seals (Leptonychotes weddelli). Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 81(6):868-879. Impact Factor 2.3
- Trumble, S.J., Castellini, M.A., Castellini J.M. and T. Mau. (2006). Dietary and seasonal influences on blood chemistry and hematology in captive harbor seals. Marine Mammal Science 22(1):104-123.
- Trumble, S.J. and M.A. Castellini (2005). Diet mixing in an aquatic carnivore, the harbour seal. Canadian Journal of Zoology 83:851-859.
- Zhao, L. Castellini, M.A., Mau, T. and S.J. Trumble. 2004. Trophic interactions of Antarctic seals as determined by stable isotope signatures. Polar Biology 27:368-373.
- Burns J.M., Costa D.P., Fedak M., Hindell M.A., Bradshaw C.J.A., Gales N., McDonald G., Trumble S.J., and D. Crocker.2004. Winter habitat use and foraging behavior of crabeater seals along the Western Antarctic Peninsula. Deep Sea Research II. 51: 2279-2303.
- Trumble, S.J., Barboza P.S. and M.A. Castellini. 2003. Digestive constraints on an aquatic carnivore: effects of feeding frequency and prey composition on harbor seals. Journal of Comparative Physiology B. 173:501-509.
- Trumble, S.J. and M.A. Castellini. 2002. Blood chemistry, hematology, and morphology of wild harbor seal pups in Alaska. Journal of Wildlife Management 66(4): 1197-1207.
- Burns, J.M., Trumble, S.J., Castellini, M.A. & Testa, J.W. 1998. The diet of Weddell seals in McMurdo Sound, Antarctica silverfish determined from scat collections and stable isotope analysis. Polar Biology, 19, 272–282.
- Trumble, S.J. and M.A. Castellini. 1998. A Comparison of blood chemistry and hematology values for harbor seals pups captured on Tugidak Island and with Prince William Sound Alaska, 1997. In: Small et al.; Harbor Seal Investigations in Alaska. Annual Report. NOAA GRANT NA57FX0367
- Castellini, M.A., Castellini, J. M. and S.J. Trumble. 2002. Recovery of harbor seals. Phase II: Controlled study of diet and health. Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Restoration Project 98341. Final Report.
- Photographs: The Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands: Region of Wonders. Terry Johnson and Kurt Byers. Alaska SeaGrant, 2003. 199 p.
- National Science Foundation; Neurophysiology and physiology review panel (Graduate Fellowship Research) 2010- 2013
- Review Editor for Frontiers in Aquatic Physiology (2010 -)
Manuscript Reviews (Dozens; Journals since 2003)
- Frontiers in Aquatic Physiology
- Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology
- Marine Mammal Science
- Physiological and Biochemical Zoology
- Canadian Journal of Zoology
- Journal of Comparative Physiology-B
- Polar biology
- Functional Ecology
- Marine Ecological Progress Series
Graduate Students of SJ Trumble (2008 to present)
- Colby Moore PhD Student (Fall 2009)
- Rebel Sanders PhD student (Received MS Summer 2012)
- Kathleen Robbins PhD student (Fall 2012-)