Instant Impact

News from Baylor School of Education

Gabriela Ortiz, BSEd ’17 — First-Year Teacher Reflection

Gabriela Ortiz, BSEd ’17, J.H. Hines Elementary, Waco ISD
Kindergarten Teacher

I just finished my first year of teaching — at J. H. Hines Elementary, which is the very first school where I tutored as a Baylor student in the 1312 class! It’s funny how the Lord brings you back to familiar places!

The year was a whirlwind of emotions, but I wouldn’t have wanted it any different. I chose to be a teacher because I wanted to make a difference and an impact on a child’s life and future. Some children don’t have the support or love that they need, and I wanted to be there to fill that void. A teacher does so much more than teaching the alphabet or fractions. Being a teacher means you’re the students’ educator, mentor, friend, advocate, and sometimes a mother or father figure.

This year I had a handful of children with serious behavior issues, which did tend to make things more difficult. I had a student who was constantly flipping tables and chairs, using foul language, screaming, biting, spitting — you name it! This was difficult at first, because I have never had to deal with this kind of behavior before. I had to find a way to deal with all of the behaviors without it affecting the education of the other students. The thing that kept popping into my head was this phrase that my Baylor SOE professors said so often: “Positive reinforcement is important.” And let me tell you, they were so right! It’s amazing how behavior can change in a child when they are being praised for something good they have done.

My goal was to build a relationship with the child (which is not an easy thing to do when they are kicking or scratching). I kept telling myself, “This child doesn’t get enough love at home,” so I knew that I needed to be there for this child no matter what the behavior. It took several months but the child did change behavior, and it was amazing to see the difference! The tantrums were replaced with a smile and a “yes ma’am!” The change that I saw in this child is something I will never forget. It’s amazing how far a little love can go and how big of a difference it really does make. Some students took longer than others to change, but as long as the child knows that you are on their side, then you are off to a good start.

I found this year to be super rewarding. I had some students come to me at the beginning of the year unable to write their name, and by the end of the year they were writing their own stories. I found that pushing my students to achieve their goals motivated my students even more! Some of my students who were far behind in the beginning of the year ended up being some of the highest in the class. Seeing the change and growth in each student was amazing to be a part of. Not only were my students motivated by these changes, but it motivated me as well!

I feel as though Baylor fully prepared me for this career and I am so blessed that I was able to be a part of such an amazing experience. Differentiating my lessons and behavior management were two HUGE things that learned at Baylor, and I was able to apply everything I had learned in my own classroom!

I love being a teacher, and I have found it to be one of the most rewarding things a person can do! During this summer, I’m actually missing school! To sum it all up — year one was a success! I can’t wait to see what God has in store for year two!