Bobby Beaty
3 Oct 2013

Feature Story Blog

Author: robertbeaty | Filed under: 3372

This week’s post we had to read one of two articles. I chose to read the article, “Tending to Muslims Hearts and Islam’s Future” by Andrea Elliot. The article is about a person that set up a Muslim matchmaker website. It is frowned upon when a Muslim of the opposite sex sees the other individual in private. The article discusses the creator’s of the website story of how he started the company.

The lead of this article is a contrast lead. The author of the article states that Christian singles and Jews both have multiple ways to meet and date but there are not many Muslim dating websites due to their rule that doesn’t allow them to be alone with a member of the opposite sex until they are married.

The nut graph is ,“Christian singles have coffee hour. Young Jews have JDate. But many Muslims believe that it is forbidden for an unmarried man and woman to meet in private. In predominantly Muslim countries, the job of making introductions and even arranging marriages typically falls to a vast network of family and friends.” This is the nut graph because this explains importance of the story. It gives the main idea to the reader.

The bigger issue of the story is that the creator of the website does not believe in the muslim rule. He thinks that people should meet and get to know each other well before they decide to marry.

“Dressed in a crisp polo shirt and swathed in cologne, he races his Nissan Maxima through the rain-slicked streets of Manhattan, late for a date with a tall brunette. At red lights, he fusses with his hair.” This was a descriptive copy because of how it describes the person and what he is doing.

The author used seven different quotes to show how credible and reliable of a source the article is.

The most boring part of the article that I found was when the author described  Shata’s life whether it was about his wife and family. I found this to be unnecessary and it tended to drag on.

The ending was interesting to me because it tied everything together and answered all of the questions that I was thinking.

What I got out of the story was knowledge about the life of a Muslim. How difficult it is to find the person you love. I found it pretty cool what Shata has done for Muslims.

I found the story to be way too long with a bunch of unnecessary and tedious information. Once again, the story of Shata dragged on for awhile.