On Sick Spouses and Praying Profs…

One of the things that I love about Baylor is the nature of the discussions that occur in passing, in between the class times.  Last week, my wife was really sick.  We spent 16 hours over the course of two different nights at the hospital trying to figure out how to help her not feel so bad.

A couple classmates were asking how she was doing before class (she’s better than she was, but nowhere close to normal better), and I guess one of my profs overheard that something was wrong with her.  After class, this prof asked what was wrong and said they would be praying for her.  Then, another prof in another class asked how my wife was the next day and said they would be praying for her (without a mention of how this professor found out she was sick – I still don’t know).

I don’t know about you, but I married my spouse because I actually like her.  When things with her are wrong, there is no amount of sleep I will give up (and no amount of finals studying/homework doing I will miss out on) to be with her as medical professionals figure out what will make her better.  And when one of my professors offers a word of compassion and concern for the well-being of someone they have never met, that means a lot.

Yeah, I like their classes.  I’ve learned lots.  But it is what is between the classes that has showed me their character and made me appreciate them even more. One of my goals for the semester was to get a 4.0 (something I’ve only done once in 6 semesters of graduate work).  That goal is officially gone.  After I got the flu in the early part of the semester and my wife was sick right as I was trying to get things going for finals, I’m willing to let that goal float on by.  But that’s not as important of a measure of the things I’ve learned, so I’m fine with letting that one go.

Thanks for praying for her, professors.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.