Business and Churches

I’ve been trying to write about the MBA experience here at Baylor for a little while, but this will be a more personal blog.  See, I love the church, and it’s hard to stay away from writing about a major topic of interest.  There is so much good that can be done when people have health in all realms of their lives (physical, social, emotional, spiritual…).  A good church can help nurture a large part of that health.  But according to our statistics, it seems as if the institutional church is on the decline in America (a subject which we can argue the merits of, trust in statistics, or future outlook face to face).

Anecdotally, part of the reason that churches are struggling is that they have great, well-trained seminary pastors who don’t realize that there are some things necessary for them to do from a business perspective.  Seminary is really great about providing resources and a base level of understanding, but churches work best when everyone is contributing.  For business people, that means that you have to get on the finance, personnel, planning, etc. committees/task forces/boards, etc. Please.  I’m serious.  The world doesn’t do well by your playing your skills close to the vest.  If it takes a few years, let it take a few years, but model for them the kinds of servant leadership that would help the appointing bodies to put you there when it’s your time.

I don’t want to sound like I’m begging here, but I beg you to find how it is that you can contribute something more than you currently are to organizations that nurture health.  All flavors of health.  Selfishly, I would ask that you start with a good church.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.